Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a heavy 11" snowfall yesterday and noticed at the end of a push the plow was struggling to raise over curbs.Earlier I was using my p/u with a 12 yr old blizzard 810 and that was just fine. Mentioned it to my nephew during storm and he said his xls was having the same issues. Bought both the plows at the same time, there are no other issues. Is there any adjustments that can be made or is this just a characteristic of the plow ?

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Mostly the latter. They are heavy pigs and can carry alot of snow - and that snow was VERY wet. Double check the pump relief pressure with a gauge and the amp draw of the motor with a good multimeter but even when everything is in spec I have seen similar issues.

Can consider upgrading to a larger diameter lift piston.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
The new model XLS (sn 180210-higher) comes with the 1.75" lift piston like the newer XV2 does.

It wouldn't be as slow as an MC which has a 2" lift piston.
Note that the new model of that plow, the HC, now uses the same 1.75" lift piston as the new XLS and XV2.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,something to think about. Also wondered what the effect would be to move the chain lift point ,would lose some stroke and gain some force. Just day dreaming, I realize that the engineers know what they're doing !

· Registered
2,184 Posts
Pressure(psi) = Force, Volume(GPM) = Speed.
A larger cylinder will make it slower with these tiny gear pumps. As stated before make sure the pressure is up to par.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.