Xls or 9.2 dxt

Mr Perfect

Hello Guys,

I just ordered a 2020 f250 lariat 7.3 gasser. It won't be ready until mid November so any commercial plowing is out this year.

I've done residential with a toro multiforce and starting price ($500) for unlimited snow removal anytime it snows 2inches or more. Starting price was $500 and up depending on size for the season. Coverage was 12/1-4/1. The multiforce got the job done but can't compare it to a truck.

My question is growing into the snow removal business, what's everyone's advice on what plow to go with and why between the two I'm considering. Theirs 2 fisher dealers in the area, one 20min away and another 30min(the farther dealer is open during storms). I'm in milwaukee area so boss and western dominate the area. 2 Boss dealers within 15min. Boss has more dealer support here out of the two I'm interested in.

I'm staying away from the wideout because of all the research I did on this site and came to the conclusion that the xls is the best expanding plow based on info provided here.

If you we're a one truck , one man operation and looking into getting into small commercial work(strip malls,walgreens,cvs etc) and some residential work. What would you advise me on and why. We average about 46in here and last year we got about 10 snow events of 2inches or more.

Thanks for taking the time to read and sharing your thoughts.

Last edited:

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
The Boss dealer, if its the one I'm thinking of (SPS) has great service. They also sell other brands, but Boss is their bread and butter.
In events of 2" or more, they are quite often open overnight. I've already been there in the middle of the night for parts and service.

Avalanche 2500

PlowSite.com Addict
Welcome to the P/S. A one man crew/for sm. strip malls/CVS etc. What about walkways, you may need a shovel guy/monkey. Not to mention sand/salting for slip and falls safety Ins. Go w/ a V PlowThumbs Up

OP
M

Mr Perfect

Welcome to the P/S. A one man crew/for sm. strip malls/CVS etc. What about walkways, you may need a shovel guy/monkey. Not to mention sand/salting for slip and falls safety Ins. Go w/ a V PlowThumbs Up
I have the multiforce for sidewalks, I have help if needed. Won't need a salter until I pursue commercial accounts next season. Thanks for the info.

OP
M

Mr Perfect

The Boss dealer, if its the one I'm thinking of (SPS) has great service. They also sell other brands, but Boss is their bread and butter.
In events of 2" or more, they are quite often open overnight. I've already been there in the middle of the night for parts and service.
Thanks for the info, I've heard good things about s.p.s. Most likely going to go with the dxt because of dealer support and don't think you can go wrong with it the vee. I really like the idea of the expanding plow and being able to turn in scoop mode with the xls though.

Thanks for the info, I've heard good things about s.p.s. Most likely going to go with the dxt because of dealer support and don't think you can go wrong with it the vee. I really like the idea of the expanding plow and being able to turn in scoop mode with the xls though.
I started the same way with a vee plow and snow blower for walkways. Small commercial accounts and residential. I don't know how boss works with the mounts / electrical but consider when/as you get bigger being able to upgrade to a different plow without having to completely change the mount / electrical on the truck.
I can put my original vee plow (western) on my newer trucks that have wideouts and the wideout on the older truck because the mounts/ electrical is all the same. Helps when a truck or plow goes down.

For starting out go V plow. I have a 9’6” XV2 and an 8-10’XLS and can tell you for smaller lots and drives the V is best. I do gas stations, pharmacy’s and such. I also have a route for residential that is mixed gravel and paved. V plow is king.

whichever brand you choose be sure to be comfortable with the brand and dealer.

OP
M

Mr Perfect

I started the same way with a vee plow and snow blower for walkways. Small commercial accounts and residential. I don't know how boss works with the mounts / electrical but consider when/as you get bigger being able to upgrade to a different plow without having to completely change the mount / electrical on the truck.
I can put my original vee plow (western) on my newer trucks that have wideouts and the wideout on the older truck because the mounts/ electrical is all the same. Helps when a truck or plow goes down.
That's something I didn't factor in, thank you for bringing that to my attention. Having one mount for multiple plows is huge

OP
M

Mr Perfect

For starting out go V plow. I have a 9’6” XV2 and an 8-10’XLS and can tell you for smaller lots and drives the V is best. I do gas stations, pharmacy’s and such. I also have a route for residential that is mixed gravel and paved. V plow is king.

whichever brand you choose be sure to be comfortable with the brand and dealer.
It seems dealer support is biggest factor to most, I appreciate your advice on this topic.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
A Vee with wings can carry snow around corners very well. Also the the Vees being close to 40” tall at the end of the moldboard you can carry more snow too.
I would recommend the DXT, 8.2 wide with Boss Wings which aren’t cheap but well worth the money.

OP
M

Mr Perfect

A Vee with wings can carry snow around corners very well. Also the the Vees being close to 40” tall at the end of the moldboard you can carry more snow too.
I would recommend the DXT, 8.2 wide with Boss Wings which aren’t cheap but well worth the money.
I've been following your info closely for over a year. I can tell your boss 100%. Seems like Mark Oomes always recommended dxt too before he owned one because of the dual trip.

8.2 with wings is 10ft wide setupCan't beat having wings to prevent spill off and increasing snow moving capacity. It seems everyone agrees that 8.2 with wings is better than 9.2 without. The info I've researched is the 9.2 in vmode will scrape when entering into entrances even without wings. Do you keep your wings on at all times? Do they scrape when entering business lots? Is the cutting edge poly? Do they have curb guards? If cutting edges are poly on boss wings, do they wear faster than the main steel cutting edge?

Last edited:

seville009

PlowSite.com Addict
I keep the wings on my 8.6’ MVP all the time, except if there’s heavy wet snow over about 5”.

The tips of the wings will scrape sometimes going in and out of parking lots with the blade up in V mode, but you just bump it a little into scoop mode to avoid that.

Another big advantage of wings on a v-plow is pushing back piles, as the edges help slice into the pile and break it up to let it move back, vs a straight blade that cones to a dead stop.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I've been following your info closely for over a year. I can tell your boss 100%. Seems like Mark Oomes always recommended dxt too before he owned one because of the dual trip.

8.2 with wings is 10ft wide setupCan't beat having wings to prevent spill off and increasing snow moving capacity. It seems everyone agrees that 8.2 with wings is better than 9.2 without. The info I've researched is the 9.2 in vmode will scrape when entering into entrances even without wings. Do you keep your wings on at all times? Do they scrape when entering business lots? Is the cutting edge poly? Do they have curb guards? If cutting edges are poly on boss wings, do they wear faster than the main steel cutting edge?
Nice thing aboot a shorter plow with wings is you can remove the wings for tight area's like drive thru's.
Any plow will tag the ground when entering/exiting a property if the transition is steep. The shorter the plow the these chance of tagging.
Always leave the wings on, they're angled forwarded (20* I believe) and having rubber/poly edges if they did tag the ground the edge would flex.
Always ran steel edges with no shoes, since the edges of the wings are rubber/poly there's no reason to run curb guards when running with wings.
The wing edges wear the same and the steel edges on the moldboards with the exception of the end/tip of them which will get rounded if you drag them along a curb which I don't think is good practice. When you replace the steel edges on the moldboards you have to replace the wing edges too.
When I got my DXT the wings were backordered. I plowed several storms withoot them and after I put them on my productivity increased by 25-30%.
Snow oot west is typically fluffy except in the early fall or spring. I never took them off due to the amount of snow I was pushing or for breaking through drifts or windows left by the muni trucks.

OP
M

Mr Perfect

Nice thing aboot a shorter plow with wings is you can remove the wings for tight area's like drive thru's.
Any plow will tag the ground when entering/exiting a property if the transition is steep. The shorter the plow the these chance of tagging.
Always leave the wings on, they're angled forwarded (20* I believe) and having rubber/poly edges if they did tag the ground the edge would flex.
Always ran steel edges with no shoes, since the edges of the wings are rubber/poly there's no reason to run curb guards when running with wings.
The wing edges wear the same and the steel edges on the moldboards with the exception of the end/tip of them which will get rounded if you drag them along a curb which I don't think is good practice. When you replace the steel edges on the moldboards you have to replace the wing edges too.
When I got my DXT the wings were backordered. I plowed several storms withoot them and after I put them on my productivity increased by 25-30%.
Snow oot west is typically fluffy except in the early fall or spring. I never took them off due to the amount of snow I was pushing or for breaking through drifts or windows left by the muni trucks.
Thanks for answering all my questions buff, seems like you answered everything I had questions about. Much appreciated.

chachi1984

Your probably going to get mixed answers , everyone has a preference. When you start doing medium size lots with more wind rowing the V Plow will be in straight mode the whole time and you will be wishing you got the expandable Plow . You could also look at the 86-11 XLS

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
I'll be different (yeah, I know).

Yes, I do like the DXT's, I now have 2. The reason being DD doesn't make anything I thought would stand up to the weight of a 550/5500. I wasn't willing to be a beta tester for their new 10' 6" V plows.

Having said that, for commercial lots I would go XLS all the way. There is nothing more efficient than an expanding plow for plowing parking lots. Except a loader.

Never saw this thread before today. Not sure if you already made up your mind. But, dealer support is very important. Distance to dealer is as well. The Boss would be a good second choice.