1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

WTB Old Highway Co. Under Tailgate Drop Spreader

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by SSS Inc., Dec 3, 2012.

  1. SSS Inc.

    SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,376

    This is a long shot but here is what I'm looking for. They were made by Highway Equipment Co. (Hi-Way) for years. They sold the rights to a company called Wikel?? I think. They are an under tailgate spreader that has a 6" tube and a gate that opens hydraulically. We do not use them in the winter, however they were at one time marketed for multi season use. We use them for Chip Sealing parking lots and roads in the summer time. The problem was that they last forever and are simple to maintain so they stopped making them because of lack of demand. In case of some unfortunate accident we are always on the look out for any that maybe sitting idle around the country. Thought I would see if anyone has seen one around.




  2. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

  3. SSS Inc.

    SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,376

    Thanks for the reply.

    They do make one and so does monroe and american road machinery. Unfortunately none of them make one easily controlled from the cab by the driver. Most of them have no gate that opens. They rely on the roller to push material passed a "keyboard" I think they call it. The model we use has a gate that can be adjusted really easy depending on what size chip we are using. This allows us to control the application rate very accurately and evenly. This gate opens only when the sander is turned on. I will keep digging but nothing seems as good as the old Hi-way model.
  4. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

    Hit the "more info" for the PDF file. Looks like the Flink has an eleven position flow control along with the hydraulic gate.

    I'm guessing it's the same type of valve in my salt truck.

    I was talking to a truck builder the other day, (Koenig Body and Equipment) and they now offer electronic control valves that monitors the speed of the truck and adjust the rate with your speed. Of course there are settings for the amount of flow. Said it's only a 600 dollar upgrade over a manual control valve. They install them in salt trucks now, but I'm guessing that it's the same type of setup as using a drop spreader and hydraulic control.

  5. SSS Inc.

    SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,376

    Hey, thanks for the extra effort. I will have to look into it more closely. Control is super critical for us so anything to make it more precise is great. On any day we could spread several hundred tons. I will check out Koenig as well.

    Thanks again
  6. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

    Koenig just builds trucks. I talked to Mark Koenig (tell him I sent you just for giggles) and he was telling me about the newer self adjusting hydraulic controllers. Never did ask him what brand it was though.

    The truck I have was built by them 11 years ago for ISU. It has a flink spreader and they might be able to get you more info about them without having to call Flink directly.

    He's a good guy, builds lots of trucks for most of the municipalities in central Illinois. I just like the fact that he took his time out to talk to a small fry like me compared to his major clients.

  7. LON

    LON Senior Member
    Messages: 749

    The Gledhill 707 in mild steel or the RG-23 stainless steel stone spreader will do a nice job for you. Here's a pic of the stainless spreader.