Would you sub out your sidewalk work?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by icudoucme, Dec 4, 2019.

1. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

After the last two snows in my area there seems to be a huge deficit in quality sidewalk work. Most places just had a straight path from the front door to the parking lot. Along with that 24 hours after the event sidewalk to pavement curbs/ transitions where still snow covered. I know in my area finding hard working, reliable workers is a big issue.

I have been pondering starting a sidewalk clearing service that sub contracts with multiple large companies. (most of them do over 10 million a season) This would allow me to group alot of work on a tight route.
    I have talked to a couple operation managers at these various companies and they all said they were willing to give it shot.

Knowing the pricing per square foot most companies are getting 50-60% more per square foot for sidewalks then parking areas/roadways. They are also charging more for ice melts and over applying due to poor training or in different employees.

I know I can make more and charge less with a tight route and fulfill a need for improving quality of service.
    My question to you: Would you ever sub out your sidewalk work?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

3. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

X2

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I did and it was great

Mudly likes this.
  5. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

Duh of course. I sub out sidewalk work to others and also work as a sub for other contractors doing sidewalk work. There's a market there.

6. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

I always sub out my sidewalk work.
    Nothing is by th SF.
    Figure out how much time per property and what you need to make per hour. Salting only takes a few minutes, but you have travel time, handling, etc, so get enough to cover that too.

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

+1

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

In a heartbeat, biggest worry(massive anxiety) is getting walks done, and I'm a very small operation.

9. GMC Driver

GMC Driver PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. And yes to subbing them out - already have some in place.

They ought to be paid well, because remember I can't find the help and I can't do it all alone. We have some on hourly, biggest ones are on a flat rate. They get dispatched for 2", on larger snowfalls they will get multiple dispatches.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

sidewalks=wet-boots......no get in the loader and plow!

BUFF likes this.
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

Wait! I just reread this. You sub out your sidewalk work to others and then you sub yourself out to other companies to do their sidewalks ? Why don't you do your own sidewalks and if you have time after, do work for others ?

12. NBRam1500

NBRam1500 Member

I think he means he gets hired from other companies to do their Walkways and he uses his subs to fulfill them.

Contractor who's looking to get his walkways done
    Will to pay x amount of dollars

Take the clients
    Sub them out for x amount -25%

You get 25% for making a few calls

Make sure your subs are the ones handling any issues and complaints

leigh likes this.
  13. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

Gotcha,I'm tired,only 1 cup of coffee so far. So he subs his subs.

14. Green mentorship

Green mentorship Member

Our business is primarily lawn applications. We have 25 steel green/zsprays. Planning to ***** out our machines with z plows on the front to large landscapers doing their sidewalks with the expectation that we do their treatments as well.

icudoucme, Chineau, EWSplow and 2 others like this.
  15. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Good help is hard to find. Sometimes you have hoard all the manpower you can.

icudoucme and Green mentorship like this.
  16. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

green mentorship how many snow event you get there?:laugh:

17. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

I think you read it right the first time. We put together several crews (and super crews) and sub ourselves out to a couple different large companies in the area to do their sidewalk work. They just can't find good sidewalk labor. They pay us very well and it's good work for all of those guys. They are all our employees.

We also have a body of work where we are the primary contractor. On most of those we self perform the sidewalk work. However there are several of these sites (some on the fringe of our service area and some in the middle of our service area) that I do sub out to different companies for a variety of different reasons. It works out best for both of us and them.

icudoucme, leigh and Mark Oomkes like this.
  18. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

Do you charge these companies a seasonal rate or per push or some other variation?

19. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

Yes, all of the above.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  20. Green mentorship

Green mentorship Member

Seems like the bottom feeders pay hourly.