Would like to add pre wetting, deicing or snow melting to my services list...Help?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 93dakman, Aug 27, 2018.

1. 93dakman

93dakman Junior Member

Hi, I am an Civil Engineer that has a small pressure washing/house washing side business. I have a truck mounted tank and pumps for this, which could be used for the brine application. I would like to be able to do work during the freezing months, and I feel like the truck mounted equipment i have could expand my services to cover this. I know just enough about the subject to be dangerous.

Here is where I stand:

I would like to stay with residential sidewalks, porches, stairs and driveways. Possibly commercial sidewalks and entryways. Prewetting & ice/snow melt with brine mixture via hose/sprayer by manual application.

We have atv's with plows, but I do not want to become that involved, unless absolutely necessary. I do not want to spread rock salt either, due to needing to purchase more equipment.

Is there any sense in treading down this path, or will it just be wasted time in advertising with no calls?

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

So, you want to do the manual applicating of the brine without offering any other snow removal services?

I think that would be a pretty small market that would be looking to hire you for that since they would still have to contract others for their snow removal needs.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think that running brine threw a pressure washer is a good idea.

BUFF, EWSplow, Mark Oomkes and 2 others like this.
  4. fireside

fireside PlowSite.com Addict

You will destroy your pressure washer system!!!! They are meant for clear water not to mention the salt.

I would think your plan would not work at all. Brine is very limited and is a tool not a end all. I realll could see why any one would want you to just spray walks

5. OP
    OP
    93dakman

93dakman Junior Member

No, I have both an all plastic volute/stainless shaft & impeller gas driven chemical transfer pump and a 60 psi 12 volt softwash chemical pump that I use. I would never send chemical through my pressure washer.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The problem is you have the wrong setup. Applying liquids for anti or de-icing requires low pressure high volume.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  7. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Can I use the weed sprayer I use to baste my chicken?

8. Mark Oomkes

You already live in the NE, can't be much left to hurt...

Philbilly2, BUFF and cwren2472 like this.
  9. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Veteran

Why not downstream your chemical...?

What! I was hoping with the burner set to 220 degrees it would help melt something....

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    93dakman

93dakman Junior Member

We have a decent snow blower as well, along with the atv plow. Im not sure how effective these would be for me though, or if I want to tackle that much more work. This is just a side business, so I do not have a full day to offer to it.

However, this was just something I have been wondering about for some time now, and figured that since I was nearly there equipment wise, I might be able to offer some winter time services.

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

It’s not just a side business, it’s a business and you work hard for you money. If you are looking to make some extra money this winter than do that, it won’t be easy, but it’ll be worth it.

12. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

I would consider hiring you as a subcontractor with what you have. You would have no sales involved, so you don’t need to worry about getting work. I could give you more than you could handle, or as little as you want. But it does need to be a commitment on your part. That is assuming you have the proper insurance.

m_ice likes this.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Uh oh...Todd is out of a job.

14. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

Taking the winter off anyway....

15. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

That's what the guy was trying to prime that 318 with Saturday night. As he was schooling me on how the engine works.

BUFF, EWSplow and Mark Oomkes like this.
  16. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite Fanatic

Up side of no skin:nod:. You could just sit in Mark's toasty office and eat all his chili dogs

Mark Oomkes likes this.