1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Workers comp in CT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by marinablue66, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. marinablue66

    marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT
    Messages: 13

    I'am looking to plow for the state or local municipaity for next years season. In order to be considered I need a back up driver on file and workers comp for them. I know that I dont need comp for me but, I was wondering how workers comp works for "under the table" employees? Or if in order for workers comp to work, the employees would have to be on the books. The back up driver would be only if I cant work so they wont get many hours. So any help from someone that already deals with this would be good thank you
  2. MileHigh

    MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,827

    It doesn't.

    WC is a percentage of annual wages paid to such "under the table" employee.

    So ya...hell need to be in the books now.
  3. hlntoiz

    hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT
    Messages: 588

    As stated above, I would just have the policy set up "in case" you have to have someone work for you. Because you have to pay a percentage of what you pay your EE, then you shouldn't need to front out any $ because you haven't paid any wages in the past so there is no way to figure out what you need to pay.

    I am not an agent but that is how I would approach it.
  4. marinablue66

    marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT
    Messages: 13

    Thats Probaly the route I am going to go, because the drivers wont get a lot of hrs so I will probaly set up the coverage and just hope it dosent cost me to much, and just put the drivers on the books
  5. bhmjwp

    bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo
    Messages: 309

    I am sure every state is different. In Mo when we 1st started there was a policy min, $900 if I remember right, and then based on payroll. Each type of work preformed has a cost rating, so dependent on what type of work is covered is the multiplyer rate. You can cover yourself or be excluded. Some compainies require you to be covered also.

    Talk to an independent ins broker-they can find a company to cover you.