Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8'6" straight blade stopped turning in either direction. Searched Plowsite for same problem and found a fix from back in 2012 (Thanks B&B!) by running a ground direct from angle solenoids to the pump ground (light blue wire in first picture).

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electricity Electronic component

What has me puzzled is where the ground went bad? Plow works for now but I like to know where an why it went bad. In the second picture I outlined what I believe is the ground and it appears to hop from angle solenoids to lift but I don't see where it ties into the frame or wiring harness?

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable Gas

Any suggestions?

TIA - 160

· Registered
14,949 Posts
What's with that scotch lock?

What's that blue wire just laying there

· Registered
197 Posts
Looks like the white wire was added at some point to solve a similar ground issue, but @dieselss is correct, that scotch lock connector is suspicious.
Normally each solenoid group has a black ground wire that goes from the coil to the end of the valve stem. If there was a corrosion issue, the easiest solution is to just clean the stem/nut and reassemble, but someone cobbled that blue non-waterproof connector in there with that piece of white wire.
Remove the unnecessary wires, clean up the connections on the factory ground wires (repair/replace the spliced one), and then test for proper operation.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not very familiar with how the plow is supposed to be wired, the white wire was on when I bought it used about 15 years ago. I'll be working on the plow this weekend and clean up the black jumpers from coil to valve stem and remove my blue ground add on to see if it still operates correctly.

Where would I find the factory ground wire(s)? Am I correct to start with the wire harness coming in and then should it connect to a coil or some other place?

I apologize for being a 50yo. rookie asking questions.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Have you gotten the wiring diagrams yet?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I pulled off the BOSS website for an RT3, SH2 plow and it appears to show a ground going from the coils to the battery cable.

Rectangle Schematic Font Material property Parallel

· Registered
287 Posts
That wiring diagram is the newer style . Your plow had the older style wiring , it has the jumper from the coil stud. They are known to fail, that's why BOSS changed them.When I have a customer with the older style like yours and it's having ground issues , I install one of the brown ground jumpers off the stud like in the diagram. You can buy the jumper from your BOSS dealer for a couple of bucks or just make one yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.