1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Won't Move/Slow Move

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Northeastern Landscape, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Northeastern Landscape

Northeastern Landscape Member

First snow in a month and the plow is acting up.
    Wont move, then with repeated attempts it will. Sometimes normal, other times real slow. It's a 2013 xv2 and controller, but the power harness from the battery out and the control harness from the controller to the power harness are about a month old.

Any ideas?

2. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Should add.
    Plow will drop/float everytime.
    Plow will stop floating everytime. But will not necessarily lift when float goes off. It's not drawing power either, headlights aren't dimming when the plow is unresponsive.

I have checked fluid level, it's fine. Definitely an electrical issue.

3. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Tried it with the truck motor off so I could hear it. When I hit a button on the plow I get 1 click and another when I let off the button. Assuming this the valve opening and closing.

Not sure how this works on the XVs, does the solenoid run just the motor, or the valves as well?

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

You hear a click, but no motor operation, replace the solenoid.
    Make sure you use the correct part.

JFon101231 and cwren2472 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

That was my thought.
    But it's not a constant click, just once for the valve to open, once for the valve to close. Same thing, start with the solenoid?

6. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Had a buddy help me out. Seems like when we wiggle the power cable ends it made a difference. Started flashing non comm blinking red light, intermittently. Would also work while he wiggled it but stopped pretty much as soon as he let go. Thinking it may be in the plowside power/comm harness

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  7. Randall Ave

When you are trying to say raise the plow, is the solenoid signal wire getting hot? Use a test light. What parts did you already replace?

8. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Don't know about the signal wire. I'll have to test it. I'm without my truck at the moment. Took my buddies, he took mine minus plow to work. Which wire in the bundle is the one to test, and where to test? On plow or in cab by controller?

Truckside I've swapped everything between the plow and the controller. Plowside hasn't been touched.

Had this issue a month ago after the last round of storms, thats when I swapped the truckside control/power harnesses. It fixed the issue until today.

9. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

Like Randall said signal wire is on solenoid

10. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Look at that, I just can't read...

11. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Bad solenoid and a blown 4A fuse.

JFon101231 likes this.
  12. Western1

from MI.

So it’s working? Good to hear!

13. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Yeah, its working again. Didn't have a 4A fuse, so I stuck a 10A in there. I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Solenoid didn't look old at all, so thats a little concerning. I'm still wondering if there is an underlying issue somewhere. But at least right now I can put it away for the summer in good order...

14. Randall Ave

If you take the solenoid apart, you will find one of the contacts burned up. Good to hear it's working.

JFon101231 and Western1 like this.
  15. Western1

from MI.

Glad it’s working

16. OP
    OP
    Northeastern Landscape

Crispy, amazing it was working as much as it was...

20200326_113649.jpg

17. Western1

from MI.

Good find

18. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Should always keep a spare just in case, they also have a nasty habit of breaking in the on position and have to pull cables apart!

It's death may have been quickened buy a poor connection between your two power harnesses. I would just make sure the large lugs are making good contact now between your new truckside and old plow side