Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Try a Google search on ignition coil testing. Also, does this engine have ignition points? You might check to make sure they are clean and gapped properly. Maybe gently file the points with a point file or emery board. Do you have a spark tester to check for spark at the plugs? Hope this helps, good luck.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try a Google search on ignition coil testing. Also, does this engine have ignition points? You might check to make sure they are clean and gapped properly. Maybe gently file the points with a point file or emery board. Do you have a spark tester to check for spark at the plugs? Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks Joe. This is breakerless ignition. I have spark at plug (sort of) so I'm not sure the coil is right one or maybe it's weak. I've seen a case on YouTube where a guy had a Wisconsin v4 like this and it would run fine with the old coil, but it had a split case so he put on a new one and it would not run. Run good with old one. Can't find that guy to see what the answer was but it got me thinking this coil may not be hot enough. Thanks for the reply

· Registered
85 Posts
Okay, I watched that video, not sure why a replacement coil would not work for him, I would think that if your existing coil has continuity between the primary connections and it is being connected correctly ( positive to positive, negative to negative) and there is 12vdc on the positive, and the engine block has a good ground, you should have spark. Is it possible that the electronic ignition control went south? Maybe get out the volt meter and start checking for voltage at the coil and a good ground at the distributor? Are you checking for spark right out of the coil to eliminate possible problems with the cap/rotor?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I watched that video, not sure why a replacement coil would not work for him, I would think that if your existing coil has continuity between the primary connections and it is being connected correctly ( positive to positive, negative to negative) and there is 12vdc on the positive, and the engine block has a good ground, you should have spark. Is it possible that the electronic ignition control went south? Maybe get out the volt meter and start checking for voltage at the coil and a good ground at the distributor? Are you checking for spark right out of the coil to eliminate possible problems with the cap/rotor?
The wissie is running strong again! A new accel 9041 did the trick. I am still puzzled also because the coil it had checked out fine but probably had a lower output voltage. This is not my machine so I came into it cold, but the owner said when it guit he put on a new coil but could never get it running again so finally gave up, anyway she runs strong again and we are both happy. Thanks

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wissie is running strong again! A new accel 9041 did the trick. I am still puzzled also because the coil it had checked out fine but probably had a lower output voltage. This is not my machine so I came into it cold, but the owner said when it guit he put on a new coil but could never get it running again so finally gave up, anyway she runs strong again and we are both happy. Thanks
thats an accel 8041

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.