• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

wing plows on p/u's ?

justa hick

does anybody use wing plows on pick up's i saw a add for one and was wondering if anybody uses them and how they work

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
They were used on 1 tons a lot more than they are today. However I have never sean a wing on a pick up. The wings are out there, only they won't perform like the ones the DOT has.

To have a wing that works like the DOT's ya need a truck like the DOT's. Be ready to drop 9K for the plow and wing, with out a mounting frame.

There only real use is in road plowing, they won't help plowing lots, only get in the way.

Geoff

OP
J

justa hick

The wings i saw were for 1/2 3/4 and mini trucks. the wings were only 4' i think they were made out west somwhere . was thinkin the price wasnt too bad on them somewhere around 2500 or 3000. i'm still lookin for the flyer they sent me.

bolensdriver

I could purchase a wing plow from Wayne Brown for arond $2,500 - $3,500 to fit a truck with a standard mount front plow frame, or $3,500 - $4,500 to fit a minute mount frame.

These are rugged plows.

wfd44

Bolensdriver - Take a look at the sidewing. Their website is www.sidewing.net. You can also do a search on here for sidewing. There are a couple of guys on here that run them and they swear bye it and some of them are inpretty serious snowfall areas. I saw on at the fair a couple of years ago and they are quite rugged in construction and ingenious in design.

derekbroerse

2000 Club Member
Personally I was looking at them for these wide-open asphalt parking lots I've had (grocery stores etc.).... My 9'2" Boss V plow is good and all but another few feet would sure speed that job up...

I was considering building one out of a scrap straight blade... Maybe a summer project for next year, along with rebuilding that rotten sander I got screwed on from eBay last year....

derekbroerse

2000 Club Member
Too Much!

I paid around $4-500US I don't remember exactly Looked half-a$$ed in the pics, supposed to have some rust. Didn't mention that the 1/4" thick c-channel framework was completely rotted thru and buckling etc. Very little to work with. Needs a completely new frame and some major surgery to the hopper. Chain drive doesn't look so healthy either.

I WILL fix it, mainly because I refuse to take a total beating on this, but would have happily paid twice as much for a good one...

Thats the problem with buying sight-unseen.....