Will I need lower/modify undercarriage mount to install boss power v on my lifted Silverado

espey34

Hey guys I’ve just picked up a 7’6 power v for my 05 Silverado 1500, The truck has 35” tires and a RC 6” lift with the torsion bars lowered as much as possible to keep the cv angles decent.

I’m wondering if the mount will need to be modified so the plow sits at the proper level.

Planning on installing the plow next week but just wondering if I should arrange to have it modified or do you guys think I might be ok?

Appreciate all the help I can get

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
I'd be worried modifying a mouth that much lower will screw something up.. maybe I'm wrong

You have the definition of the worst tool for the job. Lifted half ton with mud tires.....
Maybe get a different truck to use for plowing

OP
espey34

espey34

I'd be worried modifying a mouth that much lower will screw something up.. maybe I'm wrong

You have the definition of the worst tool for the job. Lifted half ton with mud tires.....
Maybe get a different truck to use for plowing

Thanks for your input but I’ve seen plenty of lifted truck both online and in person and the owners say they work just as well as a stock height truck. I said the truck has 35’s never said they were mud tires. And one can debate all day long if you can make a living plowing with a half ton. It all comes down to budget, preference and opinion I guess.

I’m looking for people with experience attaching a v plow to a lifted truck and weather I will need to modify or not.

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
It can’t be worse than this
E6B61893-C667-4C64-BF91-9BFC1F37713D.jpeg

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
Thanks for your input but I’ve seen plenty of lifted truck both online and in person and the owners say they work just as well as a stock height truck. I said the truck has 35’s never said they were mud tires. And one can debate all day long if you can make a living plowing with a half ton. It all comes down to budget, preference and opinion I guess.

I’m looking for people with experience attaching a v plow to a lifted truck and weather I will need to modify or not.
I don't understand the attitude people get when not receiving the answer they want to hear.

You have a 6" lift with oversized tires and you are asking if you will need to modify something designed for trucks that sit probably 7-8" lower than what you drive? Yes, you will need to modify it lower.

I never said you can't plow with your truck. Just that it is the wrong tool for the job. I can probably pull a semi trailer with your truck...until something breaks. It would be the wrong tool for the job....

I also thought it was safe to assume that someone with a 6" lift also has big knobby tires. I didn't realize you were running 35" skinny snow tires.

As far as budget, I understand that. In the future spend your money on things that will make you money instead of options, preferences and looks.

Good luck to you with your search for those with experience attaching a v plow to a half ton with a 6" lift and big tires. Until then, assume it's safe to say you will have to drop the mount down a significant amount to keep your plow sitting level where you need it.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Hey guys I’ve just picked up a 7’6 power v for my 05 Silverado 1500, The truck has 35” tires and a RC 6” lift with the torsion bars lowered as much as possible to keep the cv angles decent.

I’m wondering if the mount will need to be modified so the plow sits at the proper level.

Planning on installing the plow next week but just wondering if I should arrange to have it modified or do you guys think I might be ok?

Appreciate all the help I can get
You need to maintain the plows geometry so yes the mount needs to be lowered to do this.
How the modification is done determines how the mount and truck will hold up.
Assuming your 35” tall tires are wide ( 12” ish ) with the offset of the wheel you’re putting a pretty good load on the bearing and ball joints. You may want to consider running a 285/75/16 “D” tire on a set of steel wheels in the winter months. This would require less of a drop for the mount resulting in better durability, better traction (more pounds per square in of tread contact) and reduce the amount of load on bearings and ball joints.
When I ran 35’s I’d change to a 285/75/16 in the winter
And it made a world of difference, plus I was able to chain up in the front too.

Brettny

Since you want the awnser your looking for yes you can mount it. Yes it will need to be modified. How much? How about you tell us that.

Did you put gears in the dif with thise tires?

OP
espey34

espey34

Since you want the awnser your looking for yes you can mount it. Yes it will need to be modified. How much? How about you tell us that.

Did you put gears in the dif with thise tires?

Getting it mocked up today and it pretty well needs to be dropped 7 inches with 35’s. So I’m planning on getting a much smaller tire so I don’t have to drop the mount as much.

OP
espey34

espey34

If it didnt have 33s on it before that dosnt sound right.
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

Boss recommends for this particular blade that the push plate measures 15 1/2” from floor to center of pinhole on the mount. My truck with a 6” lift and 35’s is measuring about 22 1/2”. Therefore the mount needs to be dropped 7” to be within spec

I don’t see what 33’s has to do with anything?

OP
espey34

espey34

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

I think my mechanic did a great job modifying the mounts. Hard to tell in the picture but he also made some extra bars that go back to the second cross member to hopefully take some more strain off the frame. We also put some gussets in behind the upper control arms where the 2500/3500 gm trucks tend to crack and break!

256D342C-196A-412A-8E6D-679DAA75D4B4.jpeg

5B638989-5825-4B38-AD9A-AFE4F06D4AA4.jpeg

712AE1C7-0006-4731-BA12-A2D3F02A0243.png

370D0089-BB34-4B56-9C86-6F06C39FF8FA.jpeg

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Seems he gave some thought to what the load the mount would be taking but dropping it.
Good luck with it.

tooch420

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

I think my mechanic did a great job modifying the mounts. Hard to tell in the picture but he also made some extra bars that go back to the second cross member to hopefully take some more strain off the frame. We also put some gussets in behind the upper control arms where the 2500/3500 gm trucks tend to crack and break!

View attachment 190613

View attachment 190614

View attachment 190615

View attachment 190616
Looks like your mechanic has done this before, lol. Did a great job, looks strong and can take abuse that it will definitely get. Mine is about 2" too high (BOSS Mount), I can plow fine but i trip a lot more than i should. I may need to get this done as well, I hope we have a mechanic around here who can do this for me>

Top Forums