1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

will a western tail-gate spreader spread sand?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by revman19, Jan 17, 2009.

1. revman19

revman19 Junior Member

I am looking at buying a used western tail-gate spreader but i'm not sure if it will be able to spread sand/salt mixture. Maybe if i put an agitator on it? Any advice?

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

pro flow 2 will, but not a 1000

JR

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

yes it will if you have a vibrator in it.

I do it with mine all the time

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

dry material only. 60%salt 40% sand. Vibrator needed or pro flow. Have extra fuses with you, hammer, pick and long metal rod.

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I am in the same boat here guys. Looking for something that will spread bulk salt/sand. I was thinking of a Pro Flo2 or the fisher version. I heard the SnowEx 1875 will do it. I dont have the bed space for a v box ( only have about 4' from window to the tailgate "up") and do not need such a big spreader for what i am doing. At the most the lots will take a total of 2 yards of salt/ sand. That being the worst case scenario.
    How do you guys like the Pro flo 2 and the fisher Version? how do they work for you? i dont carry a blower so i dont care about a swing away. Let me know, thanks in advance. Rich

6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Been there done that with the pro flo 1. Fuses and a big steal bar will help.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

WRONG. My 1000 spread over 3 tons last year. I run a dry mix of 70% sand and 30% salt. No vib and no steel poles to get it to work.
    I don't fill it till I get on site and mine works great.

8. scottL

6,000 pounds isn't much of a test. Have you ever let the material sit for 24hrs, or driven from numerous accounts and left the product in the hopper for hours, sub-freezing temps or slightly moist sand?

9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

what vibrators are out there that will fit the 1000, thinking about getting one.

10. hydro_37

from iowa

Why the hell would you leave material in the hopper for 24 hrs?? I have driven from lot to lot with NO problems. I said DRY material. Sub Frezing is NO problem either if you use DRY material.
    3 tons was a good test for me. I still use the spreader and have had NO issues.
    If you are smarter then the spreader if will work wonders for you. :dizzy:

11. scottL

So riddle me this then since you seem top be bent .... Are you so great that you have your lot's measured out to the last grain or do you empty the hopper from what's left over - how so?

12. hydro_37

from iowa

I empty the hopper when I am done. After spreading a lot a few times you will have a good idea how much it will take to do it. It is NOT rocket science. You can empty whatever is left over in the hopper pretty quickly. I empty mine into a pail or bin and re-use it next time out.