Which truck & plow to keep?

Aquaelvis

So I’m new to plowing. Last winter I used my Polaris 570 with a Warn 60 inch and it went ok. Not great and we had a light winter.
So this year I decided a dedicated plow truck would be a better route. I can do my property, help out the neighbors, etc. (all gravel)
So I was messaging a woman about her ‘89 F350 then she stopped responding. After a week or so I came across this ’77 GMC k20 and bought that. Then the F350 lady messaged me back the day after and the price on the F350 was something I couldn’t pass up.

So here I am with 2 plow trucks. Originally I was going to keep the Ford, it’s a 1 ton, much less rust, overall much better condition. I started looking at fixing all the little things an old plow truck needs and remembered why I hate newer trucks!
So then I started thinking, the GMC is a much more desirable truck. It’s way easier to wrench on. (Just the room in the engine bay is great) Yeah, it’s got rust but it’s not going to see the road salt anymore and I can pick up used parts (fenders, etc) for it when I see them. In 10 years that GMC will go up in value, not the case with the Ford.
So I’m leaning towards keeping the GMC. (Ford has clear title in my name so easy to sell, the GMC will take a bit longer as it’s just a bill of sale, was out of state so it will take several months to get title)
My other concern was the plows. Both need work. The Meyer seems easier to work on- at least just from skimming the manual online. True?
The western is on the truck I want to keep. I don’t want to switch the plows. The Western has cables, seems like a PIA?

I really don’t know which plow is better and if one is so much better it makes this decision easy? (I guess the Meyer would need to be far and away better than the western)
So what are your thoughts?
Its not a Chevy vs Ford thing... we all know chevy is better. It’s more or a carb vs efi / computer thing. If the Ford was a 77 and gmc was an 89 id be keeping the Ford. It’s really about ease and cost of repairs and overall value of the truck In the future.

Both trucks need a little work. Both plows need a little too. Might just be as easy as a flush and fill? The Meyer wasn’t angling to the right right so I’m assuming the C coil needs replaced. (At $25 it’s a good place to start)
The western is just dropping and was moving slowly, now after sitting a month it’s not moving.

The Meyer has the E-47 with 2 toggle switch controls. Western is the Isarmatic Mark IIIa. (I think) It was the tall joystick on the floor.
Any thoughts for a noob?

*Note, I had this posted in the repair section - thinking guys wrenching on these might have more input as they are older plows but the post was moved to commercial snow removal which is weird since neither of these trucks would be something you’d use for commercial plowing.

Attachments

• E1D63D31-8F09-4F62-BB16-3CBDD5513714.png
    E1D63D31-8F09-4F62-BB16-3CBDD5513714.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
  • BEC61D45-BE2B-44F4-906E-1B6522F704E4.jpeg
    BEC61D45-BE2B-44F4-906E-1B6522F704E4.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DBADBDC3-B1DC-48C4-BC11-A3DE7862F005.jpeg
    DBADBDC3-B1DC-48C4-BC11-A3DE7862F005.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
Aquaelvis

Aquaelvis

Your not switching plows easily as the mounting frames are different. Stick with the Cheby, I would try to find a used Western electric unit for your plow.
That’s another question I have, what is the process for switching these controls to something more modern? Can that existing pump assembly be used or would I need to switch over to a more modern one?
what stuff would need to be switched?

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
That’s another question I have, what is the process for switching these controls to something more modern? Can that existing pump assembly be used or would I need to switch over to a more modern one?

No, modern stuff will not match up...

what needs to be switched... everything.

racer47

keep chevy .wire up meyer pump on it, run western plow .i did it back in my younger days .lol still runing wester plow with meyer e 60 and slickstick on 1 backup truck .meyer plows will break at pivit tubes on blade. and western cable pump work great till they start acting up then they are junk

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
Western went to an electric control unit. Physically it is basically the same. You would have a electric control instead of that cable controller.

OP
Aquaelvis

Aquaelvis

Wow. The value of these things will go up. How do you recon that as there will be nothing left of these things.
That’s mild rust for up here in N Idaho. Guys are restoring trucks worse than this. All that sheet metal is available new and used.

OP
Aquaelvis

Aquaelvis

Western went to an electric control unit. Physically it is basically the same. You would have a electric control instead of that cable controller.
Do you know what would be involved in switching this one? Is that possible or do I need to switch over to a whole new pump that’s set up for electric

racer47

whole new pump, wiring harness and solenoid. be cheaper to put your Meyer stuff on and run it, i have did it for lots of guys running old cable pumps. cheapest way .western plow better than old st series plow .western pump if it works run it till it gives you trouble then throw on Meyer pump and wiring harness and solenoid .i ran my old cable pump for years .keep cables clean, 1 cable grounds pump . so you don't want bad connections where cables mount to pump or it will act up. the Meyer pump is easy to work on and really simple and parts are everywhere for them .i rebuild and sell a bunch Meyer pumps every year .

Top Forums