• SnowCare For Troops Expands To Include Healthcare Workers
    Project EverGreen expands its SnowCare for Troops program to help healthcare professionals. Volunteers from the snow and landscape industries can provide snow and ice removal services to nominated healthcare heroes. Click here to read more.

WHICH TRANSMISSION?

Mowman

WHICH DO YOU SUGGEST. AN AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL TRANSMISSION? LOOKING FOR A JEEP, MOST OF THEM HAVE MANUALS. CAN IT BE DONE WITH A MANUAL, OR IS AN AUTOMATIC A MUST?
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.
Mowman

JCurtis

Banned
Its purely a matter of choice. I have plowed with both manuals and automatics.

I will tell you that the one MAJOR thing to think about.. Is your legs, after an extended time in the jeep, clutching, your left leg and knee will be killing you.

Automatics are much less strain on the driver. Just make sure you have a heavy duty Radiator, a good flex fan with as many blades as you can get (or an electric fan ) and a trans cooler.

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
Auto all the way.

I have autos in all my trucks from a Ranger to an F 750. Only after the F 750 everything is stick.

Never blown an auto tranny in any of my trucks. Easier to driver, easier to use in tight quarters, just one less thing to do while plowing. As it is you got to look in your mirrors, look in front of you, angle, raise, lower, ect the plow. Why add shifting and clutching to the list.

Geoff

Kent Lawns

PlowSite.com Veteran
How much plowing are you talking about?

Jeeps make pretty nice plow vehicle and many guys use them all night. If that's the case, an automatic is your only choice.

If you're thinking about plowing your own drive, dad & moms, your brothers and your buddies parts store, a manual might be okay.

True, Jeeps are 70% sticks, but that means 15,000 per YEAR are automatics, surely enough to find yourself one.