Which Tractor to Buy?

neblawncare23

I am debating on buying a new tractor for snow removal. I do half commercial accounts and half residential accounts with decent sized parking lots. I'm trying to decide if I should get a John Deere 4066R with hydrostat, or step up and get a John Deere 5075e or 5075m? Which would you recommend? Currently I run a 1025R and do the small lots and walks with it, and sub my bigger lots about, but I think the time is come where I need to start doing the bigger lots myself.

OP
N

neblawncare23

My biggest lot is probably 4 acres, the rest are 2 or less. Travel time from one end of town to other is probably 2 miles, so that wont be to big of deal. And average snow fall is 35". Usually have one 12" snow and rest are usually 4" snow falls or less.
Was thinking of running a snow pusher on front of loader or metal pless blade and a inverted snow blower on back of tractor.

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
The 5075 gives you room to grow, the 4066 is what it is. Hydrostatic is going to be a slower travel speed if that's important which doesn't sound like it if it's only 2 miles.

Landgreen

I will use it to some dirt work, to seed yards, and also till and plant food plots with it. Biggest hydro stat is that deere has is the 4066R.

I think a 5075 will be a kinda big for those types of jobs. 4066 would be more practical.

On those larger lots do you have to move the snow around a lot of corners to get to the stack areas? Once the push box is full the tractor cant turn a corner very well. Loader does much better.

If you go 5 series spend the extra $$ for more hp. Its not much in the long run.

R75419

4066 with a v plow and an ebling back blade would be a decent combo for what you are describing your current winter work load. The 5 series is going to be oversized for your proposed summer uses.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
4066 with a v plow and an ebling back blade would be a decent combo for what you are describing your current winter work load. The 5 series is going to be oversized for your proposed summer uses.
The 5075’s wheel base is 7” longer and it weighs aboot 900# more, neither is really worth fretting aboot.

XSKIER

If the budget allows for a compact wheel loader, they do just about everything better than a utility tractor does. The Volvo L25H and Kubota R630 are my favorites in this category, they will out push either of those tractors at less than 6' wide and 15' long.

XSKIER

Slight hijack.... @Neige has anyone put an AgriMaxx on a Deere 3046?

If no plow site members have a metal pless on a 3046R, please consider this. I use one of those Rs for light chores around the yard. Mowing, spotting trailers, and light grading. The 3 series loader is pretty much a non starter, as it can only pick up about 1200 lbs to dump trailer height. I have the front weight rack nearly maxed out, and it's still pretty light in the front end. My best guess is that the rig would be very difficult to steer with even the 5' model full of snow. And I surmise that you don't buy the metal pless to make half full passes. Boss makes a mount for the 7' Half Ton V plow to fit the 3046R, I bet that would be a pretty nice package. Still consider that you are giving up about a ton of machine weight and 250 horsepower to a half ton pick up.

If budget allows, a 5 series ivt can't be beat.( at least for farming) on a side note, I have wondered about auto steer. The ability to call up a auto steer program for say a 6" snow and have no spillage and an almost completely full plow and like would be so BA in my mind's eye.(of course you would have to be really big in snow or have a reason to justify auto steer subscriptions)

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
If budget allows, a 5 series ivt can't be beat.( at least for farming) on a side note, I have wondered about auto steer. The ability to call up a auto steer program for say a 6" snow and have no spillage and an almost completely full plow and like would be so BA in my mind's eye.(of course you would have to be really big in snow or have a reason to justify auto steer subscriptions)

Farming what? Maybe a chore tractor or a hay machine, but not much else I wouldn't think.

Tough part is no two 6" snows are the same for auto steer. Just so you know, you don't have to have a subscription for auto steer.

grnleafgrnscape

5 series has command quad, but that isn't even close to same as ivt. I have ivt on my 7210r, 6430 and 6420,. I agree it's great for plowing snow and cutting road right aways but very pricey

Top Forums