1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Which to get first?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CJL, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. CJL

    CJL Junior Member
    from MD
    Messages: 18

    I want to start, small ,1-2 snowblowers,shovels, doing residential properties for Realtors and Property management companies driveways,sidewalks,walkways,ect and grow when business and experience allows of course.

    But with that being said, should I get GL ins ,commercial vehicle insurance first then call Realtors and Property management companies looking for work or call to make sure there is work then get the insurance?

    I know it is prolly a stupid question,but im really nervous and eager to start my business. ussmileyflag

    Also do I even need GL ins if all im doing is snowblowing this season? Or is it a Requirement for Realtors and Property management companies?

    THANKS ALOT for any help! :D
  2. ColumbiaLand

    ColumbiaLand Senior Member
    Messages: 790

    you can get a small GL policy for a very reasonable price, Just make sure to shop around.
  3. 2COR517

    2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,115

    I have one policy. GL, snow removal Additional Insured certs, commercial vehicle coverage, equipment coverage. Everything from one company...
  4. buckwheat_la

    buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,254

    GL is really important, and chances are that property managers and realestate agents/organizations are not going hire you without it,
  5. CJL

    CJL Junior Member
    from MD
    Messages: 18

    Thanks for the help guys.

    My main fear that I would spend all that money on getting legal,then find out no property managers and real estate agents will hire me. :(

    Has this happened to anybody?
  6. In2toys

    In2toys Senior Member
    Messages: 319

    I would put feelers out first. Realtors can be finicky ba$*ards. I guarantee they will go with the lowest price 90% of the time. I worked with realtors doing handyman stuff for roughly 5 years before anyone asked if I was insured... After you get enough confirmed to justify the insurance, then get it. I'd call an agent first, & then get the ball rolling. Bank owned properties, would be a net 30 - net 60 at least. I refuse to "carry" banks...
  7. buckwheat_la

    buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,254

    just get it ready to go, talk to your agent, get the policy ready, the go looking for work, when you land the work though, make sure your next stop is to go sign your policy!!!
  8. hydro_37

    hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa
    Messages: 3,790

    Buckwheat is right on this one.
  9. I would find the work first because your late starting up. Most of my contracts were signed in October. By this time of year most reputable establishments already have their plow company lined up. The insurance policy can be taken care of within minutes by simply calling your insurance agent. Getting the work may take days, weeks, or not until next year.
  10. CJL

    CJL Junior Member
    from MD
    Messages: 18

    Thanks for the help guys, If they ask am I insured,obviously tell the yes correct?
  11. AbsoluteH&L

    AbsoluteH&L Senior Member
    Messages: 573

    Buckwheat said it. Get your stuff in order, then get your contracts. It is quite late to get started in the season. You could try subbing for larger contractors, and just do there side walks for larger out of the way complexes.