which T case?

what transfere case does a 79 chev k30 have? it dosent look like the 205 in my blazer and its not a fulltime 203 so i cant figure what it is. can any one help? chuck i have looked on your pages to try and find it but havent been able to yet.

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
The 208 has an aluminum case. It is very different looking compared to the 203, and 205 (and no photo of one on my site). The 208 isn't a bad case, used on 3/4 ton trucks through the 80's. It didn't debut until 1981 though. When it was new, that 79' K/30 had an NP 205 in it if it was a 4 speed, and the 203 if it was an auto. 1980 was a transition year, so all trucks had the NP 205. In 81, all 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks came with the NP 208 as a standard.

The 208 is weaker by design than the 203. Both the 203 and the 208 are chain driven cases. The NP 205 is gear driven, no chain inside.



St. George, Utah
if it is a 203 how much does it cost to convert it to part time? is it something that i can do my self? does any one know anything about the offroad design doubler kit that is what i would like to run.


It cost about 50 bucks w/o the lock hubs Its pretty straight forward. Just mark sure you use a good oil preferably synthetic and fill the case high as the rear bearing will be getting little oil because the chain/pump not running in two wheel drive
hope this helps.

Top Forums

Similar threads

Similar threads