Which salt spreader?

Hello all! New to this site. Im looking for some professional input. Ive been doing snow removal/salting now for 7 years. My business is now to the point were i need to upgrade from a tailgate salt spreader to a 2 cu. yd. in bed salt spreader. I have been doing much research and now probably more confused then before, lol. I have the Western Wide Out. Its about two years old. Love the plow. Its never given me a problem. So, when i started looking at the salt spreaders, the Western Tornado came to mind. After reading discussions on auger vs. pintle, I'm not sure as the tornado only comes in pintle and i believe that the auger style is much more reliable. However i really like the Tornado poly cover and the looks of it. So then i start looking at the Boss VBX8000. Nice unit! Then the Hiniker Unit. Its also nice. I will be spreading about 12-14 tons per season. So bottom line, which spreader will give me the least amount of issues, auger or pintle and poly or SS, gas is not an option, only electric. Will be installing this in a 2019 F350 SRW with 8' bed. Thanks in advance! Scott

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
Pintle chain in your flavor of brand. If you're stuck on electric they're all pretty much equal other than saltdogg.
With only 12-14 tons a winter do you think the auger will be easier to maintain overall? Never had the auger, but not sure if I'd want to deal with the mess and maintenance I get from the pintle with that amount of salt.

OP, other than (what I believe to be bad luck, although at the time I was far from pleased) I like my VBX 8000. Has a lot of nice features, and gives a nice spread pattern. I had some issues, but after talking to a few different people it didn't seem common. Learn from my mistakes though, buy spare parts.

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
With only 12-14 tons a winter do you think the auger will be easier to maintain overall? Never had the auger, but not sure if I'd want to deal with the mess and maintenance I get from the pintle with that amount of salt.

OP, other than (what I believe to be bad luck, although at the time I was far from pleased) I like my VBX 8000. Has a lot of nice features, and gives a nice spread pattern. I had some issues, but after talking to a few different people it didn't seem common. Learn from my mistakes though, buy spare parts.
Does anyone go into business to stay the same size or get smaller? I've had auger VBX's and they were like watching paint dry to spread salt. I think if you lithium grease the chain joints at the end of the season, you'd be fine. Or pull the chain and drop it in a 5 gallon bucket of used oil/diesel fuel mix.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
The only place augers have in salt spreaders is under the tailgate spreaders.

I've had one in a Vbox and it was an utter disaster. Granted, the entire spreader was a disaster, but the auger made it an even larger disaster.

cjames808

We are replacing our drag chain this week. Western tornado 5 seasons old.
Old one got a stiffy. Not hard or expensive. $400 with a couple new bearings. I think we’ll remove the chain from now on and stick it in an oil bucket.

We have a short auger snow ex with vibrator. Jams very easily. My neighbor runs Salt dog long auger, they jam too.

The comparison is like a vibratory palm sander vs a belt sander, and you got some material to remove. Never had a problem with the Tornado.

OP
S

Scott Taylor

Does anyone go into business to stay the same size or get smaller? I've had auger VBX's and they were like watching paint dry to spread salt. I think if you lithium grease the chain joints at the end of the season, you'd be fine. Or pull the chain and drop it in a 5 gallon bucket of used oil/diesel fuel mix.
So, are you in favor of the Salt Dogg? Or another brand?
Pintle chain in your flavor of brand. If you're stuck on electric they're all pretty much equal other than saltdogg.

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
So, are you in favor of the Salt Dogg? Or another brand?
The only thing Salt Mutt I would buy are gas engine drive and hydraulic drive. Both in pintle chain flavor unless it's an under tailgate unit. I've had far too many issues with their electric units to even consider one again.

Our Boss VBX units were flawless, their down side (other than being electric) was they were auger drive. I think I would have been a good bit happier if they would have been pintle chain drive.

DeVries

PlowSite Veteran
As the others have stated, pintle chain is your best bet. You can also spread sand with it and in a season where salt is going to be tough to find sand may be your only option later in the season.

OP
S

Scott Taylor

I sure appreciate everyones input! I have it narrowed down to two makes, both equipped the same. In alphabetical order, The Boss VBX 8000 pintle or the Western Tornado 1.8 pintle. Which one should I go with? Either one will be a brand new unit.

Layten13

I have the tornado and salt dog . I like the tornado hands down because the whole salter runs off 1 motor which would take 5 min to change if needed. Plus the doors on top. The salt dog comes with tarp top which is a pain to get on and off and saltdogg has 3 motors to worry about . Both these are electric.

Brian Young

PlowSite Veteran
I'd highly recommend buying one from a close dealer. We're still having issues with our Downeaster that we bought in 06 from a friend that was a dealer in NY, now we have to either try to go through Downeaster itself or the closet dealer is 2 hours away. Not knocking Downeaster at all, it's been pretty much a bulletproof spreader up until now, it's still on the original chain and electric motors. We're still waiting for our 1.8yd Polycaster to come in and the lids were a big selling point.

MSsnowplowing

PlowSite.com Addict
Been running a Western Tornado for over 5 years and love it.
Electric -(no noise),
product is covered,
you can control the speed for the conveyor and the spinner separate -(one of my guys uses a older sander and uses way more product than me because of this)
You can do a wide pattern or a narrow pattern by controlling the spinner and have more product come out faster if needed.
I set my conveyor speed to 3, trap opening at 3 and my spinner at 5 and works great. If it's really icy, I open the trap to 4 for more product.
Sander weighs 500 pounds so you only need to people to get it off the truck bed.

One thing, DO NOT run the sander without the truck running. It will drain your battery, learned that the hard way when I was washing it down -(my first year with it)

Layten13

I must have three older tornado my spinner and belt run off the same control . I can't control each one?
Still awesome salter

Top Forums