1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Which hardener to add to Rustoleum paint

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by outdoorfan, Oct 20, 2011.

  1. outdoorfan

    outdoorfan Member
    Messages: 30

    I've got the Rustoleum enamel paint, and I've read over and over how people usually mix a hardener into it. Question is, which hardener, how much, and are they any special instructions I should know about?

    Painting my plow and mount frame (rolling and brushing...no spraying).
  2. adksnowo

    adksnowo Senior Member
    Messages: 370

    I don't know if it works for Rustoleum but Tractor Supply carries Valspar tractor paint and has a hardener for it. The truck & trailer paint TSC used to carry is much better than the tractor paint that seems to be all they carry now.
  3. TJS

    TJS PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,440

    Any Acrylic Enamel Hardener will work. I have used a product called "The Wet Look". You can get hardeners on ebay pretty cheap. Use enamel reducer too, and not what is states on the rustoleum can. I mixed 8 parts paint/2 parts reducer/1 part hardener.
  4. outdoorfan

    outdoorfan Member
    Messages: 30

    I can get the hardener at the local auto parts store, but it's much cheaper at Fleet Farm. The stuff at FF is also Valspar.

    Question, why the reducer? Is it because you're spraying it on? I'm rolling/brushing it on.

  5. TJS

    TJS PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,440

    Yes I was talking spray gun.