1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which electric replacement motor or aftermarket service kit??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sidelinellc, Oct 31, 2009.

1. sidelinellc

sidelinellc Junior Member
    from 06093

have an mm2. The label on the lower portion of the electric motor states intsa-act 10". I've crossed referenced it on the fisher site only to be confused once on the aftermarket site such as e-bay.
    I'm looking at replacing the electric motor and purchasing an o-ring service kit. Reason being, I've been using this plow commercially for 4 yrs and would like to do some preventative maintenance before she brakes on me., The plow seems to be getting frothy air filled fluid after extended use causing it to float freely left or right a tad. already checked the pickup tube and screen so I'm guessing its getting air between one of the seals after extended use.
    1st, how do i determine which watt/amp. replacement motor i need.
    2nd, is there a good supplier of aftermarket hydraulic service kits that are not "fisher" priced?

thanks in advance, rich

2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Somebody here on Plowsite recently bought a different plow motor from here: http://www.maxxmotor.com/files/Buyers_Guide_for_Snow_Plow_Customers.pdf If you have an Insta-act, it looks like your part number there would be 51054

I saved the link for future use if necessary. He said the motor looked and felt higher quality than his original.

When you checked the pump filter assy, was the fluid return tube still attached next to it? Part #66405 in Fisher's parts poster. They have been known to fall off, and it can aerate the fluid. I found mine sitting in the bottom of the reservoir.

I haven't found a source for an aftermarket reservoir or O-rings. I haven't really looked into that, though. there may be somebody out there producing them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Personally, I stay away from aftermarket motors. They probably aren't all bad, but I've seen issues with some. The OEM motor is part #21500, list on them is about $130.00, but they can be had cheaper depending on where you buy them.

As someone else said, remove the reservoir and check the pickup tube. A replacement tube kit (part #66763) is only 10 or 12 bucks, and it comes with a bracket to prevent the tube from coming out of the pump. The kit also comes with a replacement O-ring for the reservoir.

4. sidelinellc

from 06093

thanks for the quick feedback, it's appreciated. As for the frothy fluid after extended use, the pickup tube was still attached when checked both times. the tube seal was good, along with the screen and pickup tube.All were removed, cleaned, sealed and reinstalled with no difference. After extended use, the system gets air in causing the blade to "bounce" left or right slightly. It is defiantly air as i have removed the cylinder lines when this happened to see a frothy fun mes.

thanks again,

5. LON

LON Senior Member

Are you using the new Fisher oil #28531? If you are using a heavier oil you are getting air in past the ram seals since the cylinders are of low friction design.

6. sidelinellc

from 06093

i am currently. However it's funny you say that.Two seasons ago i blew a line,after replacing i refilled system with atf. ran it all winter that way with no problems. Drained toward the end, flushed and refilled with fisher plow oil as mentioned above, Half way through last year my air issue arose and I'd like to ge to the bottom of it before winter gets here. It's usable now i just don't want it getting any worse.
    After reviewing the schematics, the only way air is probably getting into the system is on the gear pump housing end or the cylinders as you suggested.
    This unit and all of it's components are dry of any oil leaks. thanks aga

7. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

With air comes moisture?