Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure answer is from new rams, but wondering if anyone else has run into this? I have changed fluid and cleaned/replaced filter in my 8 foot unimount straight blade multiple times since I replaced both angle rams and hoses. I have cleaned entire system and am now pretty sure I will try to simply replace everything again cause it seems like a paint like peel that is clogging everything up. I have had the filter clogged, the S3 clogged and am spending way more time cleaning and replacing stuff than I am spending time with the plow functional. The lift ram and pump are both fine as well as the packing. Any and all input is appreciated, but I think my main questions are:
Where are you guys buying rams and hoses from? (I live about 60 miles from closest retailer)

Are there aftermarket ones that are known to cause troubles like this? Mine came from either Amazon or Ebay.

I'm getting good at tearing it all apart and putting it back together, but very tired of it, so is there a way to run the system to be sure all the crap is out before I put new parts on it?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I have searched and found tons of answers here without needing to create a new post.
Kris

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
Thought so too, recommendation n where to get GOOD PARTS?.
Your local dealer? Or any other source selling genuine, OEM parts which have to have some semblance of quality control.

I'm not implying that there are no usable aftermarket parts, just that some sources for them, especially sources like Ebay, are a crap-shoot at best. At least a local supplier for aftermarket parts has to sell something they are willing to warranty when you come back to them screaming about "all this black stuff!"

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your local dealer? Or any other source selling genuine, OEM parts which have to have some semblance of quality control.

I'm not implying that there are no usable aftermarket parts, just that some sources for them, especially sources like Ebay, are a crap-shoot at best. At least a local supplier for aftermarket parts has to sell something they are willing to warranty when you come back to them screaming about "all this black stuff!"
100% agreed on the crap shoot. Lesson learned, believe me.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back to the original question about cleaning the system before infecting new parts, wondering if there's a proven way to do this, or just run it and clean/replace the filter and fluid? Is there a bigger filter available, just to have more surface area to collect the "black crap":laugh:

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
If the cylinders are to blame, you can't really do anything until you replace them. No matter what you do to purge the system, you'll reintroduce more contaminants the first time you operate the cylinders.

As far as how to do it, beyond draining the system completely, including inside the cylinders, lines, and reservoir, there isn't any real trick to it. There is no bigger filter.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the cylinders are to blame, you can't really do anything until you replace them. No matter what you do to purge the system, you'll reintroduce more contaminants the first time you operate the cylinders.

As far as how to do it, beyond draining the system completely, including inside the cylinders, lines, and reservoir, there isn't any real trick to it. There is no bigger filter.
10/4 thanks for your replies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.