Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This type of shovel is not available on any reputable website. I can only find it on scammy-looking online stores I've never heard of. What's going on here?

Here's a link to the thing I'm talking about:

https://shopastore.ca/products/dual-rolling-snow-pusher-with-adjustable-handle.html

This is clearly the right tool to give any crew going out to clear sidewalks, especially short residential ones. If it were about 30-36" wide, it would be perfect for paths to the front door, and for sidewalks too. Tho most sidewalks would need a return pass to get it wider. I think this thing would be faster than a snowblower, even in snow that's 3-6" deep.

Here's an image of a cheaper looking one, from a pinterest page:
Tool Rectangle Font Slope Art

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
I think this thing would be faster than a snowblower, even in snow that's 3-6" deep.
REALLY?
please explain why?

Reactions: Mark Oomkes

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
REALLY?
please explain why?
I think. I don't know for sure. Here's the reasons why I think:
- lighter than a snowblower
- faster to load and unload than a snowblower
- a snowplow shovel windrowing is faster than a snowblower if snow is less than 3" or very dry. But that's hard on your back because your constantly fighting the sideways force of it.
- pushing this straight ahead would clear a wider path than a 21" single stage blower
- and you'd be able to walk/push faster than a single stage snowblower goes.

It might be more tiring than using a snowblower if there's 3-4" on the ground. Depends on how well the thing works.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i could see cracks and expansion joints causing some good WC claims with that.
You mean a worker hits a bump on the cement and says he hurt his nuts? Maybe. But he shouldn't be running behind the thing, right? But it's clearly safer than using a gas powered snowblower.
I just want to try one, but I can't even buy one. Anywhere. That seems weird.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Found something like it. Available now from the "snow plow" shovel people...
THE SNOWGRADER - Wheel Pusher
There's a company in ND that makes them, called the Dakota snow plow or something like that. I have one. It works ok with some practice. It's downfall was It's size,it doesn't transport well. But that was back in the day when we were using a 2 stage blower too.
The blower and the wheeled shovel didn't play well together in the back of the truck.
Before this I built my own 6' shovel.
I used aluminum flashing and riveted 2, 3' shovels together. Used fence post T brackets and replacement fiberglass handles to brace the 2 handles together.
Thr handle dropped down over the blower with the blade behind it. Never lost it.

Reactions: jato

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a company in ND that makes them, called the Dakota snow plow or something like that. I have one. It works ok with some practice. It's downfall was It's size,it doesn't transport well. But that was back in the day when we were using a 2 stage blower too.
The blower and the wheeled shovel didn't play well together in the back of the truck.
Before this I built my own 6' shovel.
I used aluminum flashing and riveted 2, 3' shovels together. Used fence post T brackets and replacement fiberglass handles to brace the 2 handles together.
Thr handle dropped down over the blower with the blade behind it. Never lost it.
Right, I heard of this company before, but it is so big that I feel tired every time I use it. So I dont use v-plow-type shovels anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts