Wheel loader plowing

Jgar

I recently purchased a wheel loader for plowing my private drive. My driveway is 2k feet long, double wide with a 75' x 120' turning - parking area. Years past I have always used a yard truck to clear snow so setting up and using a articulating loader is all new to me and that's why I'm here!.
My loader is a mid 70's Trojan 1700. It's powered by a Detroit 453 and weighs in at 21k lbs. This machine is in remarkably good condition. All tires have good tread and the fronts are loaded. The bucket is a factory 4 in 1 but it has been rebuilt and welded shut. However it does have 3 levers and aux hydraulic lines. I also have a set of new chains for the front tires if required.
Currently I'm in the market for a used manual plow. I still have to service the loader so a power angle is not in the budget for this year. What is in the budget is a 10' highway plow like the one in the pic below. I do have concerns about a directional plow that you can change the angle and how effective it will be for plowing in my parking area? Any input about my loader set up or tips- tricks for plowing with a wheel loader would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210616_185452.jpg
    20210616_185452.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20210727-175912_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-175912_Facebook.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 70
OP
J

Jgar

Wow, now that's an eye for detail and you are correct. Long ago that wheel must of loosened up (pre blue paint) because a few of the studs for that wheel have double lug nuts. That stud is damaged an will not accept a lug nut.

OP
J

Jgar

After you operate the Loader a few times with the better visibility , articulating steering and the pleasant growl from the Detroit , you will never want to plow with a truck again .
I've used it to do some driveway maintenance and get a few hours practice. This machine is going to be a game changer. My equipment experience is limited to TLBs and I was totally taken back by how a such a bigger machine is so much more maneuverable! With the Dretroit ear plugs and ear muffs are required.

Not sure how far it is for you or what your budget is but here is an option from CL in Providence:

Lots of snow has been moved from parking areas with just a bucket or a one-way plow. A power angle is just quicker and provides more options on where to place the snow.

Have fun with the project and be sure to post more photos.

Top Forums