1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"What's wrong with these plow guys?"

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Winter Land Man, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

How about the people who leave their garbage cans or big recycling bins out on the street beside their driveway for a day or two after collection day and then complain to the municipality that the plow knocked them over into the ditch or on the lawn? Usually the wing doesn't even hit them. But, you know, they can't leave them in the end of their driveways because the cans will be in the way of their cars that they don't know how to back up. Little cranky, ya think?

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Legal liability is all in the details. Was the plow driver speeding? Was he near the end of a 16 hour shift? Lots of factors here. Bottom line it was an accident. Like a mailbox, the town should offer some type of compensation and put the whole thing to bed. Nowadays when a pet gets killed everyone gets all upset and assumes it was malicious. Mend fences and move on. I do not fault the driver.

We've all damaged mailboxes or something. Its part of the business. What you do AFTER says alot about you and your company. Do you just laugh it off and deny your at fault, or take steps to right the wrong? True some people will never be satisfied, but at least acknowledge their feelings and work towards a resolution.

3. RSE

RSE Member

Once I pushed a pile up really high and saw what I thought were 4 furry legs sticking up...scared the %$#$# outta me, turned out to be branches from a fallen limb and 28 hrs (seeing things) on the road. I would be devastated if I hit someones pet.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never hit anybody's pet but, I come close to hitting deer on a regular basis because there is a lot of deer in my area and they love to be in the road when it's snowing for some reason. I hunt deer every fall but, I would still feel awful hitting one, I can't imagine hitting somebody's pet.

5. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

I got Bambi 2 years ago with the dump truck on the way back to the yard. The other truck driver behind me said the deer flew about 20 ft off the road didn't hurt the plow or the truck any but left a poop trail and a blood smear on the plow. There was Bambi slayer spray painted on the plow the next day by my coworkers :D

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I hit a coyote It was running down the road It was funny I thought I killed just made it dizzy When I got close I drop my blade that was a box plow I made for my truck and I rolled it for good distance and stop back up. He got up and he couldn't walk straight and he was shaking his head

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I killed a deer last week, and a dog a few years ago, both were in 80K zones and came out of the end of a drive way piled high with snow, no warning. I'm an animal lover so it always tears me up. With the dog I knocked on the home owners door and expressed my apology, they were understandably upset...I got a lecture about driving too fast (I actually wasn't but....) I apologized again and gave them their dog.
    I don't think they ever realised that there is trauma in having to deal with that too, having anything look at you helplessly while it takes it's last breath... looking at you for help, is heartwrenching. There is a responsibility as an animal owner as well, to keep them from wandering. Farmers in our area are aware that if livestock gets out on the road and causes an accident that they can be held responsible, I don't know why city folk don't get that.

8. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

There is a leash law in the state of nh. The owner of the dog is liable for the dogs actions because it was off leash.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ leash laws no matter the state do no extend onto private property.

In other words on private property a dog or cat does NOT need to be on a leash.

If ya hit one of mine and kill it no matter how tired or if missing it would have cost you money,
    I would sue you. and win.(if it happened on private property.)
    A quality dog can cost $1-5k
    and a well trained dog(s) like I have and I would cost you $100-200K.

It is the drivers fault as the law states a driver needs to be able to stop or avoid obstacles.
    careless or reckless.

remember that dog could be some little kids pet.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Same here in City limits must be on a leash or in a pen

Now in the sticks does not apply but a dog wants to chance a car then its at risk of getting ran over

around here can go the other way if pet cause damage to a car the pet owner is liable for damages

You high dollar dog shouldn't be out in the road I know my 5k Shed dog isn't if he was he should get hit. I wouldn't try avoid a pet sometimes if cant get stop its best not try go around them could cause injure to you or other people if you car or truck loose traction.

11. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

It may not have to be on a leash on private property but as a soon as it runs onto a public road it's not on private property anymore. Also you can't even stop a car if something jumps out in front of it. Careless or wreckless don't apply to that. Even if a human being jumps out in front of them and gets killed so long as they weren't driving at an insane speed it's the jumpers fault..........

I'm a dog lover as well and I live in the city, so I built a fence out back and mine goes out front on a leash. I can't control the asshats on the road but I can control my dog. If my dog got hit it would be my fault without a doubt.

12. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

This is a pretty funny thread, I've got dogs, but any animal comes out in the road, I ain't swerving risking wrecking a truck, I've seen a lot of wrecks where people swerved trying to miss something and were messed up bad, haven't hit any pets but have smoked my share of deer lately with trucks. Oh yeah and it's always a prize winner grand champion, rare breed very expensive animal when it gets hit.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking about private property or the road. If your stupid enough to let you 200k dog go on the road I gauruntee you that when I swerve to miss it and hurt myself or family your dog won't have a home because I will make sure I get it in the settlement. Human life is more important then any dog or animal. Now if it's a human life swerving and risking your life is a risk worth taking.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

100-200k for a dog?

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I thought my first sentence made that clear,
    "leash laws no matter the state do no extend onto private property."

Dave ,
    In the states you are suppose to be in control of your vehicle at all times.
    We use words in our laws like,
    able to strop or avoid.
    There is a big difference between running a animal down and hitting one by accident.
    Then there is a difference between a deer and some kids beloved pet.

It's an attitude.

Yup, when your dog(s)GSD is rank in the top 10 for breed worth and are titled ScHhIII and IPO III on the world stage, (compeated in Germany and the Netherlands)

(IPO= Schutzhund. Due to political reasons, Germany no longer calls protection sport "Schutzhund")
    Have prodigy they have is also are titled in IPO to guide dogs (seeing eye), search and rescue dogs, service dogs for the handicapped and working on police forces etc etc just go to prove their worth.

Pups from these bitches start at 4k,and up
    A pup from a lesser b-itch may start at 1k and up.
    (bitches isn't a bad word but ***** is,,,lol)

I can't meet demand....

Top ranked males can go for even more$$$$

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'v heard of plow opps being transferred or fired for taking there frustrations out on mailboxes.

17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Every dog I've owned has been a rescue dog...$150 for shots and your good. [​IMG]

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^ good for you,
    We have fostered dogs that were waiting on a home.
    but then adoption not for everyone.

Some prefer a pup and some want a particular pup for a reason.

A link to the article in question.
    http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Sn...xes/-/9857858/23520592/-/c8piggz/-/index.html

things like this have happened before.

US
    Snow Plow Driver ‘Dogg’ Fired After Posting Video of Himself Burying Parked Cars After Blizzard.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...f-himself-burying-parked-cars-after-blizzard/

Last year, Burnsville spent almost $5,800 on mailboxes damaged during plowing. Crews replaced 38 mailboxes and repaired another 40 or so. That $5,800 is only replacement boxes and replacement materials. Labor costs were not included in the figure.
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/01/14/burnsville-considers-changes-to-snowplow-mailbox-rules/

19. MattR

MattR Senior Member

So let me get this straight... You would be upset if somebody hit your precious and expensive pet if it wandered onto the public road. You can spend 100-200k on a dog and CANNOT afford an invisible fence or any other device to keep your dog on your own property without it going on the road? And then you would sue that driver for your negligence? Remember once it walks on the road, it is no longer on your private property and is now on public roadway. If it was me who would swerve to avoid your precious pet and end up being seriously injured due to having to take the ditch, you would be needing "change of address" forms from the USPS, because I would be owning a new house. I would not want any of those expensive pets though since owning a mutt is just as good.

20. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I know if I had a 200k dollar dog I wouldn't be plowing snow. ;)