1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

What's it called? (powered walk behind plow)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Bryansong, Jan 12, 2011.

  1. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

    I saw a truck and trailer load of these going the opposite direction early one morning and am trying to look them up to learn about them. They are like a walk behind lawn mower only they have a plow in the front. I imagine one of the sponsers here have them but I don't know what they are called.

    Can anyone point me to some. Kind of like a snow blower with a blades.

  2. M & MD Lawn

    M & MD Lawn Senior Member
    Messages: 361

    I'm intrigued a bit, subscribing
  3. Mark13

    Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,808

    I think some walk behind mowers can have the deck and front wheels removed and fitted with things like a blade, rotary broom, etc.
  4. crazyskier537

    crazyskier537 Senior Member
    from NE IL
    Messages: 129


    I was really into them for a while...

    They are weak, most operate on electric motors. They barely have any power to push the snow, or weight, or traction.

    I am building somethign like this in the summer. 6.5hp greyhound engine, couple of beams, and an atv plow on the front. Slower than an atv, but I could argue it may be better. It will have 6 tires and a live axle, and will weigh alot, so no traction problems.

    Just telling you my ideas if anyone wants to follow them.:cool:
  5. WIPensFan

    WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,594

  6. JohnRoscoe

    JohnRoscoe Senior Member
    Messages: 209

    BCS is another maker, big in Europe. There used to be several tiller mounted for troy-bilt, gravely, etc. Probably could find one on eBay.
  7. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

    The units I saw were bigger, about the size of a 36 to 42 inch commercial walk behind mower with the deck out front, only with a blade like a bulldozer. Also, a much bigger motor, I'm guessing 8 to 16 HP. (Only guessing because I just got a glimpse but they were parked crossways on the trailer like a commercial lawn service would park.

  8. matts27

    matts27 Senior Member
    from CT
    Messages: 138

    Like a Simplicity? Looks like a walk behind mower with a 36" blade. My father in law has 1, late 1930's-early 1940's. Thing is an animal, but over 6" and it needs help. Gotta run to stay up with it... Model 14 Briggs n Stratton engine. Think Simplicity stopped in the '60's making 'em. I don't have a picture of it but he still uses it, plus he's got a York rake and sickle bar mower for it. Well made piece of equipment.
  9. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

    Yes, they looked kind of like that. Here is a closer page so you can see what I am looking for. http://www.turfteq.com/products_plow.html

    If you know of different models of this kind of thing I would like to look at them.
  10. dforbes

    dforbes Senior Member
    Messages: 247

  11. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

    Thank you Dennis, that looks like a good one. I guess they are called "Sidewalk Snow Plows"
  12. pmorrissette

    pmorrissette Senior Member
    Messages: 175

    Looking at the guy trying to plow his driveway...I much prefer my snow blower.
  13. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

    Are you refering to me?
  14. leon

    leon Senior Member
    Messages: 872

    snow etc.

    What you are refering to is a "Two Wheel Tractor" of which there are 40 manufacturers world wide.

    BCS and Grillo are the largest builders and seller of the Two Wheel Tractor specificly.
    and can be used the year round as they were designed for the european farmer with steep
    slopes to traverse to harvest hay and grain.

    It all depends on your pocket book as they can be used the year round and have both diesel and gas engine power using Both Honda and "Kohler Lmbardini" diesel engines.

    The Diesel engines provide the same power value at lower horse power as the same CC displacement gas engines.

    The Grillo Line of two wheel tractors has the most available attachments for its use as a two wheel farm tractor.
  15. Yooper75

    Yooper75 Senior Member
    Messages: 324

    Could have been a Gravely.......
  16. RobE

    RobE Junior Member
    from RI
    Messages: 29

  17. sappel138

    sappel138 Member
    Messages: 32

    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  18. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

  19. Bryansong

    Bryansong Member
    Messages: 32

    If anyone is interested here is a link about 2 wheel tractors from a tractor forum. Maybe I should look into a multi-purpose machine for my home. Currently I have a broken snowblower and roto-tiller, along side a Scag Wildcat, Honda goldwing and camper. All taking up space in my garage. It would be nice to have more room with less items.

    Sorry for the rambling, here is the link

  20. mayhem

    mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA
    Messages: 1,016

    Gravely used to make serious 2 wheeled tractors.

    Good grip, versatile...use it for plowing, slap on a snowblower attachment, tiller, tank sprayer...whatever you need.


    How about this for a sidewalk machine?