what tyupe of insurance policy do i need

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bdemir, Jan 7, 2000.

  1. bdemir

    bdemir Member
    Messages: 89

    i have one truck and i want to get another one next year and jump right into commercial work i might get 2 next year and then have three total. What kind of insurance would i need for commercial work.Is there a certain type of plowing insurance or do i just tell my agent a certain amount of coverage. I want the right insurance but i also dont want to get sued. Will i need insurance to cover other subcontractors or will they need to cover themselves.
  2. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,011

    This subject is already covered in the Commercial Lawn Care Forum. See the replies there.<p>Bill
  3. GeoffD

    GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 2,266

    Don't grow too quick i saw a guy do that last year and got in a big time jam. He tried to do 2 condo complexs very big 15 acers totatl, 45 driveways, 10 parking lots, 45 driveways at another condo. All with 3 trucks a f 350 rack body, f 350 dump body, and a f 250 hd pick up. Anyways he could handle the two condo complexs, and i got them after two storms. First thing i brought in was a loader with a 12' blade. I took these properties over after we got 6&quot; of sleet and the 350 of his couldn't make the long runs needed. This 6&quot; was what was left of the blizzard you guys got in last year in chicago.<p>Geoff
  4. GeoffD

    GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran
    Messages: 2,266

    Then he lost a lot of his other accounts during the winter, because he didn't do them right or it took to long. Trouble was he didn't think he had to employ shovelers, thought it could be done by the driver.<p>Geoff
  5. plowking35

    plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT
    Messages: 2,923

    You will need business commercial laibility insurance for your plowing business. Then you will need commercial auto insurance policy for each of your trucks.Make sure that your agent knows that you are plowing.<br>As far as your subs are concerened make sure that they ahve their own insurance. If you provide the insurance, the IRS will consider you their employer and you will be on the hook for with holding , comp,and 1/2 of their SS.<br> None of us wants to be sued, but it will probably happen sooner or later, so make sure that you have at least 1 mil coverage, and becoming a, LLC wont hurt either.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  6. m&m owner

    m&m owner Member
    from MN
    Messages: 33

    Tell your agent you will be plowing commercial lots and get at the very least $300,000 liability coverage that is what most of my accounts require. depending on your budget you should get more but if somebody sues you they usually go for what you are insured for, so I'm told. Subs need their own insurance and you need proof of that. Hope this helps.