Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7’6” Pro-Plow Series 2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I operate a wholesale food business from my home in Northern NJ. I have to leave very early in the morning and have a 300’ driveway. I had a contractor plow for me and one 30” snow storm he didn’t show, it seems his trans went. After three days stranded my wife and I shoveled out. The whole time I said “I’m buying a plow” and I did. I had a 96 F350 at the time. I have been had 3 Western plows since then. They are great and I just sold my 2003 Chevrolet 2500HD with a 6 year old Unimount Pro plow. I’m going to retire in 2/3 years and bought a Fifth Wheel RV and new F350. The Chevy rusted brake lines almost killed me, so for revenge, I bought a Ford. I’m in the market for a new plow. I like the Western plows but not the price. Seems a lot of money for something I only use 5 or 10 times a year to plow my driveway. I won’t ever depend on hiring someone again. Can anyone recommend a cheaper reliable alternative that can handle an occasional 24” storm? Thanks.

· Registered
17,050 Posts
Sell the truck
find a decent used compact tractor with the cab,& blower in your price range.
then you would have a machine and you can grade your driveway with in the summer or do a lot of other things with other than just move snow.

Do you want something reliable ?
Something that will last.
A plow that can Handel the “big storm”.
maybe this isn’t a place to skimp.

you will be able to use this plow for the next 10 to 20 years.
Get a new plow.

Then,what are you thinking,at least a nine footer ?

· Registered
2,017 Posts
My advice would be to not skimp on the plow and then regret it when you get another 30” snowstorm.

If you’re happy with Westerns, get another one. Can always sell it if you decide you don’t need it in a few years.

I have a Western MVP on an F350; works great. Just a private plower

· Banned
13,443 Posts
Did you buy the truck with the intention of pulling the RV? I would not wait till 30'' of snowfalls, I would plow with the storm. What plow dealers are close to you? Whichever ones are close to you take your pick and forget about it. You are only servicing your own drive.

Furthermore just because you had a contractor that was not smart enough to have a backup truck does not mean you can not hire it out. You have to do your homework and find a good one. Good Luck

· Registered
7’6” Pro-Plow Series 2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you buy the truck with the intention of pulling the RV? I would not wait till 30'' of snowfalls, I would plow with the storm. What plow dealers are close to you? Whichever ones are close to you take your pick and forget about it. You are only servicing your own drive.

Furthermore just because you had a contractor that was not smart enough to have a backup truck does not mean you can not hire it out. You have to do your homework and find a good one. Good Luck

· Registered
7’6” Pro-Plow Series 2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the F350 for pulling the fifth wheel and as a plow truck. I run a business from my home and sometimes leave for work at 2AM. I can’t depend on someone to always be there to plow my place so I can get my delivery truck out. I put a cap on the pickup in Winter and use it for deliveries in bad weather. The Western plows are great and never gave me any trouble although they had very minimal use. They usually die from rust before I ever have any mechanical issues. I have a price for a new Unimount pro plow at $5600. I have to run my business snow or no snow. For me the plow is a must. I have been researching some of the front receiver hitch type plows. They cost a lot less. Anyone have any experience with them?

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
So, you've used Westerns so long that, according to you, you've had 4 of them. And now you want to switch to a receiver hitch plow?

Were those 4 plows all new? I assume not, or you wouldnt be surprised by the price. But if they were used, I'm not sure why you wouldnt be looking for a 5th used

· Registered
7’6” Pro-Plow Series 2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for the nearby plow dealers. I have them all nearby. I was thinking I could buy the front hitch on Amazon it’s about $150 and an easy install. I would then have my pick of plows that are compatible with it. The question is are there any good ones?

· Registered
7’6” Pro-Plow Series 2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife and I were stranded in our home with both cars in the garage. It took us three days to shovel out, just wide enough for a car to get by. When I got to the street it was a 6 foot mound of packed snow. That was when I decided to get my own plow.

· Registered
7’6” Pro-Plow Series 2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve had a plow on various trucks for 25 years now. No more shoveling for me. I figure I need to get one for my new truck by about mid October. I have some time to research what to get.

· Super Moderator
43,555 Posts
I bought the F350 for pulling the fifth wheel and as a plow truck. I run a business from my home and sometimes leave for work at 2AM. I can't depend on someone to always be there to plow my place so I can get my delivery truck out. I put a cap on the pickup in Winter and use it for deliveries in bad weather. The Western plows are great and never gave me any trouble although they had very minimal use. They usually die from rust before I ever have any mechanical issues. I have a price for a new Unimount pro plow at $5600. I have to run my business snow or no snow. For me the plow is a must. I have been researching some of the front receiver hitch type plows. They cost a lot less. Anyone have any experience with them?
Since you work oot of your house have you're bizz by the plow which would be handy come tax time.
Receiver hitch type plows had short moldboards and the single point mount won't hold up in front of a 7k pickup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.