What Plow Works 03 GMC 2500

OP
S

smore

The kickstands sometimes get mangled and they are fairly costly to replace. The shock absorber isn't as common of a piece to replace - either the plow was hammered on or its fairly old. The plow will operate with out it, it'll just bang more when/if it trips. But it isn't a very expensive piece so that implies the plow was both beat on and owned by someone who didn't want to fix anything on it.
Those kickstands, landing gear, whatever they are called (I cannot seem to find what western calls them) seems they do not sell them complete they break them down into like 4-5 parts you need to buy, and YES like you mentioned they are pricey when you add up all the components. The shock seems expensive also, at least what I have been told, think they said 175.00 for a small shock, I thought WOW.

I would also think along the thoughts you are thinking did someone beat this plow, not care, or was it used as some parts plow or something because odd those kickstands are gone, and the shock is gone. The rest of the plow does not look bad compared to other plows I have seen but still to start having to add in parts that should not be missing seems strange.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
I would also think along the thoughts you are thinking did someone beat this plow, not care, or was it used as some parts plow or something because odd those kickstands are gone, and the shock is gone. The rest of the plow does not look bad compared to other plows I have seen but still to start having to add in parts that should not be missing seems strange.

I don't know if I'd guess at a parts plow. I think it was more along the lines of:

"Crap, I broke the kickstands. Screw that. I'm not paying for new ones, ill just throw a floor jack under it every time I take it off."

"Crap, now I broke the shock. Screw that, ill just run it without it."

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
I only just now looked at the link- despite everything I said, the guy did list the condition as "fair" and for $700 it's pretty hard to be judgy about it. Hell, the power unit itself is probably worth that used.

But as @EWSplow said, you'll still need to throw a lot of cash at it to make it usable

OP
S

smore

So I was thinking of looking at this plow https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/d/osseo-8ft-western-snow-plow/7392671452.html

However does it not seem odd that its missing the 2 kickstands, and the 1 shock absorber? As another response said sometimes the kickstands (or whatever they are called) get damaged but they are a pretty important piece of the plow function of putting plow on and off truck. Than the plow is also missing that shock absorber. Again as another response said, was the plow beat, not taken care of, no one cared, or was it used for parts for other plows or something.

For those landing gear, kickstands western does not sell that complete part they break it down into:
Stand Plunger With Spring
Stand Shoe Kit
Stand Lock Short Spring Foot

Do not think there is a complete kit and I really have not seen any used complete ones for sale? NEW all these parts add up very quick and needing 2 of them getting pretty pricey.

I have attached a picture with circles of the areas missing the 2 kickstands and the shock absorber.

Again is it odd that these 2 kickstands are missing, and also the shock absorber. I might still go look at the plow as it seems in decent shape but makes one wonder what else is not there or maybe not working?

Attachments

• plowmissingparts.jpg
    plowmissingparts.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 17

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
I might actually look at this plow, talked with the guy, has not been operated in 2-3 years. Looks like its missing the shock on the plow blade to frame and also both those stands on the plow frame are missing as well, not sure what they are called, feet, stands but I am sure most of you know which ones I am referring to. Not sure how much both those stands are or what part number they are. Otherwise it looks like maybe a decent shape plow. Just curious as to why the missing shock and those 2 stands? is that not strange? Thanks for helping out with providing the links. Trying to find a decent plow is tough and as mentioned I am no lottery winner so reasonable is what I seek, sounds like they are out there but are they within my area? that is the question.

That is a 3 plug ultramount pro plow from what I can see in the picture. Plow side wiring will work with your truck.

It is missing the shock like you said. All 4 springs are installed upside down.

As for the stands... they are easy to bend. Seems like most of the time the get bent picking the plow up with forks.

Here is a breakdown of what you will need.

Screenshot 2021-10-13 071247.png
Screenshot 2021-10-13 071336.png

OP
S

smore

I don't know if I'd guess at a parts plow. I think it was more along the lines of:

"Crap, I broke the kickstands. Screw that. I'm not paying for new ones, ill just throw a floor jack under it every time I take it off."

"Crap, now I broke the shock. Screw that, ill just run it without it."
I do agree with all you say about asking price of 700, fair condition mentioned in the add and also the examples you give about breaking things and not replacing them and getting by with them being broken. Its just nice when people take care of things (I was brought up that way), than your not buying something and sticking money into it right away. I may go look at the plow and see in person.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
I do agree with all you say about asking price of 700, fair condition mentioned in the add and also the examples you give about breaking things and not replacing them and getting by with them being broken. Its just nice when people take care of things (I was brought up that way), than your not buying something and sticking money into it right away. I may go look at the plow and see in person.

Well, As @EWSplow posted, the boss plow he linked to is complete and has all vehicle pieces. And appears to be much better condition. But its also 5 times the price. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
only said you will need the light harness for sure, sounded like the power harness this one came with would work I think? But from your post it sounds like maybe it would not work?

This plow is a 3 plug. That is second generation as far as ultramounts are concerned. This plow side wiring will work with an 03 GM. You will need a truckside harness

First gen was a 2 plug relay
Second gen was a 3 plug isolation
Third gen are the 2 plug fleet flex

I am mainly just doing searches for ultra mount, and some are the old halogen style and some are the new headlight style I see which are a bit more rounded so those must be the ones you were referring to as nighthawk.

EDIT: I Sit corrected - The plow you are looking at has Nighthawks on it

I think the mount I am looking at 67981-2 will work on the 1st generation ultramounts and other ultramounts as well? I am supposed to meet and buy one of those mounts for the truck in the next few days so at least I have the mount as finding a plow and mount from same truck as mine pretty difficult.

This is correct. It will work on all 3 generations of ultramounts.

OP
S

smore

That is a 3 plug ultramount pro plow from what I can see in the picture. Plow side wiring will work with your truck.

It is missing the shock like you said. All 4 springs are installed upside down.

As for the stands... they are easy to bend. Seems like most of the time the get bent picking the plow up with forks.

Here is a breakdown of what you will need.

View attachment 221997View attachment 221998

Thanks for your continued information I am learning alot. So now the 4 springs are installed upside down as well, huh this just keeps getting more interesting doesn't it. Probably should walk away from that plow at this point as someone just did not care or take care of that plow.

Sounds like those stands are easy to bend but most plow I have seen for sale all seem to at least have them on it, so I thought it was weird this one did not. Thanks for the diagram of parts, I had seen that there are several parts to replace that stand and looked up some prices and WOW each part really ads up when you need 4-5 parts to make one stand, almost not worth it, probably why they were never fixed or replaced. I also never seen any used ones for sale anywhere, I thought that was odd, I figured somewhere someone has some of those for sale.

OP
S

smore

Well, As @EWSplow posted, the boss plow he linked to is complete and has all vehicle pieces. And appears to be much better condition. But its also 5 times the price. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.
I am sorta set on western and have now found the mount for my 03 GMC 2500 so now I need to find the ultra plow, receivers, wiring, get it mounted, and hope all is working on whatever plow I find. Just not easy finding a plow, I have mainly been searching CL, don't have FB and don't want it but there are probably some plows on there.

OP
S

smore

This plow is a 3 plug. That is second generation as far as ultramounts are concerned. This plow side wiring will work with an 03 GM. You will need a truckside harness

First gen was a 2 plug relay
Second gen was a 3 plug isolation
Third gen are the 2 plug fleet flex

EDIT: I Sit corrected - The plow you are looking at has Nighthawks on it

This is correct. It will work on all 3 generations of ultramounts.

Thanks again for all the info, I am getting a great education which I appreciate. So its nice the mount I found will work on all the ultra mounts, so I have the mount now if I could just find the plow, receivers, correct wiring, probably not going to find them all at once, but 1 piece at a time. The plow is obviously the critical part to find, maybe it comes with the receivers or maybe I have to find some used ones, than the wiring, which sounds like the place installing it can order which ever harness I need depending on the plow wiring, maybe there is also a used market on harnesses also?

Thanks for the info on the types of ultra mount generations and what type of plug, sounds like any of them will work on my 03 GMC 2500 its just a matter of than getting the correct truck side wiring harness.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
sounds like any of them will work on my 03 GMC 2500 its just a matter of than getting the correct truck side wiring harness.

1st generation plow purchase will require you to also purchase the 2nd generation (3 plug) plow side wiring to make it work correctly with your truck.

OP
S

smore

1st generation plow purchase will require you to also purchase the 2nd generation (3 plug) plow side wiring to make it work correctly with your truck.
Sounds like the place putting what ever plow I find on said that most of the power wiring is interchanable even between ford, dodge, chevy, but the light harness will be specific to the vehicle so they said plan on purchasing the truck side light harness to match the plow. Sounds like they will just have to match up that wiring depending on what plow I purchase.

Most plows I am looking at or seeing its just the plow anyways, no real wiring comes with them. So once I have the plow I might be able to find out which wiring I will need and maybe there is a used market option of wiring harnesses versus paying what they want for new? or maybe going new wiring is the way to go and let the plow place sort that out and find the correct wiring and charge me for it I guess, at least there should not be any issues than if they pick it out.

Top Forums