What Plow Works 03 GMC 2500

smore

Appreciate any help and advice. Have a 2003 GMC 2500 (not an HD, just 2500) and am making into a plow truck just to plow my driveway, just going to be plowing my driveway. I am confused at which plow, mount, wiring I am in need of. I am of course looking in the used market as that lottery ticket just has not paid off yet (never had paid off yet) and well I am just going to be plowing my own driveway and have a budget and cannot afford the insane new prices. Just wanna make a good plow truck for my own driveway.

I have had a plow truck in the past 89 chev with a western 7' 6" unimount, and the plow worked good and was happy and OK with the setup.

Now with this 2003 GMC 2500 what is going to work on this truck? Is an older unimount plow going to work? What about the actual truck mount for a unimount plow do they have a mount that will fit my 2003 GMC 2500? also wiring harnesses it sounds like there are 2 of them or so?

I have heard various things about a unimount plow working on this 2003 GMC 2500, will an older unimount work? Seems there are unimount plows out there for reasonable prices, of course most do not come with the correct mount and all for my truck as they were off a variety of other types of trucks. So it sounds like one buys the plow, buys the mount, buys the wiring harness and you can never find them all together to match your truck. Sounds like many times you can find used mounts and even used wiring harness. Its just scary buying and finding 1 thing at time (plow, mount, wiring) and making sure it all pairs up and works on this truck?

The other thing I have noticed is the Ultra Mount plow type, just learned of those as again all I have know is the unimount plow. Have seen some older Ultramount plows for reasonable prices and it sounds like its a much better plow setup, maybe eaiser to find parts for, mounts, wiring, etc.

Please provide any guidance on what plow will work on this truck?

Older unimounts - Will they work? what mount do I need? part numbers of what I need? any suggestions or opinions on this setup?

Ultra Mounts? Sounds like this is what came after the unimounts in early 2000s and it should work on this truck? But again any helpful info on what plow, what mount, what wiring, and part numbers.

Of course if anyone in Minnesota, Wisconsin or close by has a plow, mount, wiring that would work on this 2003 GMC 2500 please message me.

Thanks again for any help, appreciate the community and all one can learn here.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Maybe find out what the frame is. I think its the same as a 2500 HD. I could be wrong.
If the frame is the same, you're not as limited as you might think. It just wouldn't have the suspension to carry as heavy of a plow.

Western1

PlowSite Veteran
Unimount can and will work on your truck if that’s the route you want to take. Your obviously familiar with it

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Please provide any guidance on what plow will work on this truck?

Older unimounts - Will they work? what mount do I need? part numbers of what I need? any suggestions or opinions on this setup?

Ultra Mounts? Sounds like this is what came after the unimounts in early 2000s and it should work on this truck? But again any helpful info on what plow, what mount, what wiring, and part numbers.

As for unimounts, 2003 was the first year GM that the relay system would not work.

So if you have a harness from a 99-02 2500, you would have to make the headlights work on toggle switches in the cab.

If you are looking for everything to work as it should, you have have to change the plowside wiring and headlights to work with an isolation module system. This is going to cost far more than the price of the plow itself

Finding a unimount bracket to work on your truck will be a task. Western stopped making them a while back now. Easy way is to get the ultramont truckside and use the unimont/ ultramount adapter.

If you can find a ultramount... I would take that route... just my 2 cents

OP
S

smore

As for unimounts, 2003 was the first year GM that the relay system would not work.

So if you have a harness from a 99-02 2500, you would have to make the headlights work on toggle switches in the cab.

If you are looking for everything to work as it should, you have have to change the plowside wiring and headlights to work with an isolation module system. This is going to cost far more than the price of the plow itself

Finding a unimount bracket to work on your truck will be a task. Western stopped making them a while back now. Easy way is to get the ultramont truckside and use the unimont/ ultramount adapter.

If you can find a ultramount... I would take that route... just my 2 cents
Thanks for your input, after some research it seems that unimount as you have said might be a tougher way to to. So I think I am going to try and find an ultramount, I believe they had a first generation with the halogen rectangle headlights 2 flat plugs than they switched to different style lights. Going to just search for ultramount plows and see if I can find one reasonable, but perhaps those older ones made during the time frame of my 2003 GMC might be a good option and reasonably priced.

It looks like a mount for my 03 GMC 2500 would be part number 67981-2 so I am looking for one of those as its rare to find a plow and the exact mount as well.

I believe I have been told that most likely will need a new or used lighting wiring harness for the truck side to match my truck for the lights to work without messing with toggle switch and all, Finding the plow, mount, lighting harness all together would take lots of luck.

Thanks for your help, I will most certainly have more questions along the way and seeking help on what part numbers, etc for parts like mounts, receivers, wiring, etc.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Thanks for your input, after some research it seems that unimount as you have said might be a tougher way to to. So I think I am going to try and find an ultramount, I believe they had a first generation with the halogen rectangle headlights 2 flat plugs than they switched to different style lights. Going to just search for ultramount plows and see if I can find one reasonable, but perhaps those older ones made during the time frame of my 2003 GMC might be a good option and reasonably priced.

It looks like a mount for my 03 GMC 2500 would be part number 67981-2 so I am looking for one of those as its rare to find a plow and the exact mount as well.

I believe I have been told that most likely will need a new or used lighting wiring harness for the truck side to match my truck for the lights to work without messing with toggle switch and all, Finding the plow, mount, lighting harness all together would take lots of luck.

Thanks for your help, I will most certainly have more questions along the way and seeking help on what part numbers, etc for parts like mounts, receivers, wiring, etc.

Negative. First generation ultramount was still two plug relay (same as unmount) you will be in the same boat as a unimount and have to change all the plow side wiring to make it compatible with your 2003.

I would look for a 3 plug or a 2 plug fleet flex ultra.

As for the headlights. Rectangle lights were available in both 2 plug relay and 3 plug isolation. Nighthawk headlights are the more curved, they were an upgrade.

OP
S

smore

I might actually look at this plow, talked with the guy, has not been operated in 2-3 years. Looks like its missing the shock on the plow blade to frame and also both those stands on the plow frame are missing as well, not sure what they are called, feet, stands but I am sure most of you know which ones I am referring to. Not sure how much both those stands are or what part number they are. Otherwise it looks like maybe a decent shape plow. Just curious as to why the missing shock and those 2 stands? is that not strange? Thanks for helping out with providing the links. Trying to find a decent plow is tough and as mentioned I am no lottery winner so reasonable is what I seek, sounds like they are out there but are they within my area? that is the question.

OP
S

smore

Negative. First generation ultramount was still two plug relay (same as unmount) you will be in the same boat as a unimount and have to change all the plow side wiring to make it compatible with your 2003.

I would look for a 3 plug or a 2 plug fleet flex ultra.

As for the headlights. Rectangle lights were available in both 2 plug relay and 3 plug isolation. Nighthawk headlights are the more curved, they were an upgrade.
Thanks for more input, always appreciated. The plow store that is going to put on whatever plow I pick did not say much about the first generation ultramount plow I was looking at and wiring, they just said I will need a light harness for sure, they said nothing about the other wiring be an issue. I advised them I was looking at a first generation ultramount and they did not say anything about it now working, only said you will need the light harness for sure, sounded like the power harness this one came with would work I think? But from your post it sounds like maybe it would not work?

I am mainly just doing searches for ultra mount, and some are the old halogen style and some are the new headlight style I see which are a bit more rounded so those must be the ones you were referring to as nighthawk.

I think the mount I am looking at 67981-2 will work on the 1st generation ultramounts and other ultramounts as well? I am supposed to meet and buy one of those mounts for the truck in the next few days so at least I have the mount as finding a plow and mount from same truck as mine pretty difficult.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
I might actually look at this plow, talked with the guy, has not been operated in 2-3 years. Looks like its missing the shock on the plow blade to frame and also both those stands on the plow frame are missing as well, not sure what they are called, feet, stands but I am sure most of you know which ones I am referring to. Not sure how much both those stands are or what part number they are. Otherwise it looks like maybe a decent shape plow. Just curious as to why the missing shock and those 2 stands? is that not strange? Thanks for helping out with providing the links. Trying to find a decent plow is tough and as mentioned I am no lottery winner so reasonable is what I seek, sounds like they are out there but are they within my area? that is the question.
By shock, are you referring to the hydraulic cylinders? It looks like both are there for the blade angle.
I believe that the feet you are referring to are shoes. You don't need them. It will scrape cleaner without them.
Keep in mind that piecemealing a a plow can get expensive. $700 for the blade, $500 for a mount, $300 for a controller and say $1200 for a wire harness gets you pretty close to the boss that I posted which is ready to go.

OP
S

smore

By shock, are you referring to the hydraulic cylinders? It looks like both are there for the blade angle.
I believe that the feet you are referring to are shoes. You don't need them. It will scrape cleaner without them.
Keep in mind that piecemealing a a plow can get expensive. $700 for the blade, $500 for a mount, $300 for a controller and say $1200 for a wire harness gets you pretty close to the boss that I posted which is ready to go.
By shock I mean the shock that goes on the plow by the springs, most usually only have 1 in the center, this is a pro plow so I believe it should have the shock in the middle on the actual plow to the frame.

Yes those feet or shoes or kickstands (not even sure what they are actually called so I can look up a part). You might be referring to the actual shows on the plow blade, these are on the frame where that hook on the frame hooks into the truck mount, there are 2 feet that swivel down, or there are supposed to be as that plow in that ad is missing them. I believe they hold the plow up, allow you to drive in and out of the plow, those are missing.

I totally get trying to put together a plow truck, but when I sort of figured it all out I came out about the same with buying a truck, plus the fact of not being able to find a decent plow truck already done, they are just worn out and mainly junk at that point (its amazing the horrible condition of most). So I spent time finding a nice truck that had not been plowed with and now trying to work on the plow pieces (plow, mount, wiring, etc). Have a local place that can install it so have gotten some quotes on parts and scenarios of parts I might need so I have an idea its not getting to out of control price wise and again it pretty much would be about the same as trying to find a decent truck with a plow on it (and trying is the hard part as they can be tough to find). So I decided to go in this direction as I plan on keeping the setup for a long time, its just to do my driveway. Last plow truck I had for 12 years.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
By shock I mean the shock that goes on the plow by the springs, most usually only have 1 in the center, this is a pro plow so I believe it should have the shock in the middle on the actual plow to the frame.

Yes those feet or shoes or kickstands (not even sure what they are actually called so I can look up a part). You might be referring to the actual shows on the plow blade, these are on the frame where that hook on the frame hooks into the truck mount, there are 2 feet that swivel down, or there are supposed to be as that plow in that ad is missing them. I believe they hold the plow up, allow you to drive in and out of the plow, those are missing.

I totally get trying to put together a plow truck, but when I sort of figured it all out I came out about the same with buying a truck, plus the fact of not being able to find a decent plow truck already done, they are just worn out and mainly junk at that point (its amazing the horrible condition of most). So I spent time finding a nice truck that had not been plowed with and now trying to work on the plow pieces (plow, mount, wiring, etc). Have a local place that can install it so have gotten some quotes on parts and scenarios of parts I might need so I have an idea its not getting to out of control price wise and again it pretty much would be about the same as trying to find a decent truck with a plow on it (and trying is the hard part as they can be tough to find). So I decided to go in this direction as I plan on keeping the setup for a long time, its just to do my driveway. Last plow truck I had for 12 years.

The kickstands sometimes get mangled and they are fairly costly to replace. The shock absorber isn't as common of a piece to replace - either the plow was hammered on or its fairly old. The plow will operate with out it, it'll just bang more when/if it trips. But it isn't a very expensive piece so that implies the plow was both beat on and owned by someone who didn't want to fix anything on it.

Top Forums