1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What plow do you use and why

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jake's Lawn and Snow, Mar 24, 2020.

1. I'm not sure where to post this thread, so I out it here.
    Good morning,
    I have spent a lot of time asking questions and reading replies and other threads regarding starting a business. Everyone has been very helpful.

Here's another question.
    I will be buying either a GM 3500 or Ford F350 used, not sure of the year. I will be starting my business with only plowing residential driveways.
    What brand of plow would use use?
    Straight blade or V?
    Size?
    Why?

I have used a Wide-out plow for commercial lots, worked great for big areas and lots of snow. Not sure what brand that was. Other than that, I've only used Boss V plows for a mix of commercial and residential properties. I'm looking for more insight than just my experience.

Obviously just starting up and paying cash, I dont want to spend every penny I have saved this summer buying a truck and plow. So cheaper maybe a better option?

Open to all opinions.
    Thank you.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

I am a western guy. Reason is the ease of hooking up and un hooking the plow. Takes seconds to connect or disconnect. In the summer, you don't have a big plow bracket hanging down.

I would get a vee plow - because a vee can be a stright blade, but a stright blade can't be a vee plow. That being said, there are alot more moving parts on a vee blade, so for the simplicity side of things, a stright blade may be better for your first plow?

Mininum 8.6ft - so it is wider than you tire track pattern on your truck.

Mark Oomkes, BUFF, NYH1 and 4 others like this.
  3. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

4. OP
    OP
    Jake's Lawn and Snow

Jake's Lawn and Snow Member

8.6 even for small residentials?

5. OP
    OP
    Jake's Lawn and Snow

Jake's Lawn and Snow Member

6. Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Fourteen Contracting Inc. Senior Member

You're from Wisconsin man!!!!

I'm kidding. I like westerns (have a few wideouts and a v) I like the wideouts better for the reason you mentioned above, but I do mainly commercial.
    I think you'll find guys will recommend the plows they are used to. Really it comes down to the devil you know. All these plows will break at some point or another and it'll be up to you to figure it out at 2:30 am when the snow is flying. I like the westerns because I know how they break / problems that can occur and can usually get them going in a pinch.

7. Philbilly2

I would recommend a jeep with a 6.6ft blade for small residential...

you asked about a plow on a 1 ton pickup

BUFF, 512high, NYH1 and 5 others like this.
  8. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

The biggest question will be dealer support and parts. Is one closer or better to deal with then the next...

Personally I would go Boss, why?

1) Faster hookup then Western...

2) 96% of the wiring issue threads on here are Western and they all go back to the same cure (check your grounds)

3) Chain lifts suck and everybody welds them anyway...:rolleyes:

9. Philbilly2

[​IMG]

LapeerLandscape and Western1 like this.
  10. ZL1

ZL1 Member

You are in Wisconsin. Westerns are built in Wisconsin, and there are no shortage of dealers, expertise or parts (not that you need a lot of the latter two w. Western) here.

'Nuff said?

11. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

I think a showdown at the ok corral is in store or at least at a pub

Mark Oomkes, BUFF and Randall Ave like this.
  12. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, especially in a v plow.
    And yes, I agree with most others, with a v plow you have a lot more flexibility and maneuverability.

Yes, you can do wonders with a jeep with a v plow.
    If I didn't have another truck, I'd prefer a 7'-6" v plow on a jeep vs 6'-6". Wilder path when cornering, etc.

If you're salting, you're going to be cleaning salt out of the interior though. No good way to carry a decent amount of salt.

As mentioned, dealer support is key. You want to have parts and service available for immediate repairs.

I won't get into what brand of boss v plow I prefer.

Mark Oomkes, BUFF and theplowmeister like this.
  13. Philbilly2

We were already told no by management...

Hydromaster and BUFF like this.
  14. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

Change management

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  15. NYH1

NYH1 2000 Club Member

I prefer a v-plows.

NYH1.

16. jomama45

jomama45 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind, Boss is made just over the border in the UP, which is really more Wisconsin than Meatchicken anyways......

BUFF, Mark13 and EWSplow like this.
  17. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Especially according to Mt Dew...

BUFF, Mark Oomkes and EWSplow like this.
  18. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

You could spit a cherry pit and hit Wisconsin from the boss plant...

19. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, let's get back to the topic please

20. Kinport

Kinport Senior Member

I have a small fleet of Fisher and Boss plows. All v plows with the exception of a Boss 8" straight blade. I have been impressed with the durability of both brands and wouldn't hesitate to buy new or used of either. All of my plows generally have 1 or 2 things break/wear out each year, but I haven't had any major recurring issues with any of them. V plows offer more versatility and would be my first choice. I can do all same stuff with a straight blade, but in really deep snow it might take a little longer. A couple upsides (in my opinion) to straight blades is they have less moving parts to break and they are cheaper both new and used. I would go with the biggest plow my truck could handle.

Here are some plows I would avoid:
    Fisher Extreme V-the first generation of these plows had problems that are well documented on this sight, most to do with being underbuilt in a few areas. They are still building this plow so perhaps by now they've addressed the issues. Get an xv2 or even an older ezv if you want a fisher V.
    Boss ext: Seemed like this plow was rushed to market to compete with other expandable plows when it first came out a few years back and also has had some problems that are well documented here. They are also still being built so I imagine they addressed those.
    Boss VXT- a good plow, but as these plows age I've seen several (as well as hearing from owners/operators) that the head gear is underbuilt, and an internet search will turn up pictures of cockeyed plows. Buy the DXT, same plow with heavier head gear. This plow is also still being built, and perhaps they've fixed the issue.

You mentioned cost and wanting to keep it low, so hopefully your watching classifieds. Buying any new plow will cost about the same regardless of which brand you go with. There isn't really any "budget" brand plows (that I'm aware of) that builds a low cost plow that holds up to the abuse of plowing year after year.

Several people mentioned Western. I've had 2-3 Western unimount straight blade over the years. All of them were great plows and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

BUFF likes this.