Snow Plowing Forum banner

What kind of shovel do you use?

4K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  Runner 
#1 ·
I use the the one thats good for your back. (Yeah Right!)

But I wouldnt mind trying this one.

See less See more
#3 ·
I forget what they are called but it's the kind farmers use for slinging brown stuff, better than any cheap Walmart snowshovel. I've used those ones that are supposed to be good for your back, if anything they seem worse, the leverage for lifting is increased.

#4 ·
I don't shovel anything but my mothers front step. I'm usually gone so the little woman shovels off our steps, only because I can't fit the plow up there. I used to have a little electric Toro power shovel someone gave me, was a little tiny snowthrower. kind of neat, was great for steps.

That reminds me of the question, "how many men does it take to clean a kitchen?"
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
None, that's a woman's job!

#6 ·
All my shovels are powered. Bobcat w/bucket, Takuchi TB070 excavator, and 14' backhoe atchment for the bobcat. oh and 2 non english speeking power units that work, work, work.

#9 ·
#14 Aluninum scoop shovel works best for digging you out when you push into the bank to far. But they wear off really quick on sidewalks!
Seth

#10 ·
Last year I had a real nice light plastic shovel. The edge was also plastic so it was real quiet. It was also super deep so you could fit a ton of snow in it.

I dont remember where I bought them and I searched everywhere this year, so I just got some more plastic shovel, but they're not as light and have a metal edge.

#11 ·
I use a plastic grain shovel for heavy stuff, have one of those back breakers/savers, and a metal one shaped like a plow that just throws the stuff. You can't lift it yourself very well, though.

#12 ·
I keep a metal grain shovel in the bed of the truck in case I need it. For doing walks I use a cheap plastic snow shovel with a plastic edge. They cost me like $7.99 and I can get two seasons out of them before they are totally crap and trow them away.

#14 ·
Ya, I plow snow, I don't shovel snow. I hire a shovel guy and tell him to go to the store, pick out any shovel he wants and I pay for it. Much easier on my back :drinkup:

#16 ·
I have a pair of regular plastic shovels with the metal edge. Noisy but work well for the few sidewalks I am responsible for.

I also have this yellow "Snowplow" shovel that has a slope going one direction, but it can be used on either the top or bottom. Totally plastic... really useful for 3" snowfalls or less where you can really walk fast with them. Totally useless when it is wet and heavy.

I think they are all Garant brand or something.... They sell them at CTC and Home Depot etc...

Hey, did anyone buy one of those "Snowblower" shovels that spin on the wheels while you push it??? LOL they looked sooooooo cheezy... still would have liked to try one for fun but I can see wheels sliding instead of spinning....

#17 ·
Ive always used a sturdy standard snow shovel. Not you cheapo recycled plastic ones.

But the other day I bought one of those ergonomic, wasy on your back, hard on your wallet snow shovels... yead right.... hope I still have the reciept. That things going back. Its a pain in the a55 and it doesnt seem to be very comfortable to use.

#20 ·
Brookside said:
Plastic grain scoop is easier on the paint on the side of the truck digging out of the ditch.
Oh well not to worried about paint it wouldn`t be the first scratch in the paint! I prefer the Aluminum in hard packed snow, like when you slide into a bank.Mostly cause the aluminum is stiffer Just my opinion of course.
Seth

#24 ·
I have several- a steel edged aluminum pusher for light stuff, metal standard (steel) snow shovel for non stickey deeper stuff, all plastic flat blade type for sticky stuff (very non stick, but I wear half the shovel down in a season and they really become ineffecient at that size ..lol)
I also have a plastic with metal (steel) edge that is a little deeper scoop, but again standard snoe shovel for general use.

I keep a small steel shovel too for scraping and sand loading as it works much better when I am stuck.
Tried those back saver ones, not too sure about them- got one for home to work with this season just for my walkway. I don't like it thus far- too much work to actually lift the blade full of snow over the banks.

Yes, I carry all of those shovels in the back of the truck, and I have duplicates of some in the garage incase one breaks.

Tried those aluminum shovels, grain and otherwise, found there is too much resistance from the soft aluminum against the pavement and concrete- they wear fast, curl the corners fast, and grab. Too much work. I tend to like smaller shovels too- lessens the weight when it's heavy snow.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.