Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can it be well below freezing for days on end, then when its going to have precipitation it rains buckets like a monsoon....THEN right back to freezing temps for days. I DONT GET IT! What is wrong with this weather its getting more unpredictable each year that passes. Meteorology is becoming a big guessing game.

I love plowing, but it may seem like its time to sell the equipment and stop getting aggravated it doesn't snow anymore...

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Snowing here...

· Moderator, Friend, Angel
5,531 Posts
Really noticeable where I live since the mid 1990s. The snow line has moved up farther north. We just mainly get rain, sleet or freezing rain now. Snows do not stick around as long as they used to. Roads don't freeze over as much. I am not going to debate what is causing the change. Just that it has changed. Hopefully it will change back soon. I love Snow! Back in the 70s in 80s we got below zero days. Highs in the teens. Snow on the ground for days. Back in the 60s we had a snow with high winds. Snowed in for a week. Snowed, then sleeted, then freezing rain on top of that. Now winters are pretty boring

· Registered
4,305 Posts
How can it be well below freezing for days on end, then when its going to have precipitation it rains buckets like a monsoon....THEN right back to freezing temps for days. I DONT GET IT! What is wrong with this weather its getting more unpredictable each year that passes. Meteorology is becoming a big guessing game.

I love plowing, but it may seem like its time to sell the equipment and stop getting aggravated it doesn't snow anymore...
I didn't know that "strong island' got much snow! I'm a 25 mile boat ride away and it always seemed you guys were in a different climate zone! We'd be in the snow and you would be in rain.I would say that southern new England and LI are one of the hardest areas to predict storms.This year is in a category by itself. Precipt is off the charts. Non scientific observation,my sump pump has been kicking on and off since sept.It usually only goes on in the spring and every other year on average.If this precipt was all snow we would have had at least 6-7 24" storms! I feel for you!

· Registered
17,111 Posts

We've had winter's like this before. We had one good winter years back. I spent about $20,000.00 getting ready for the next season. My gross sales for snow that season was just over $7000.00. it happens.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Definitely a change since we were kids. Back in HS, I recall snow in November, and it stayed till April. Now, its a roller coaster , and fluctuates from 20's to 60's on a daily basis. Nothing, like it was, but I agree it's mother nature, and just another cycle of unpredictable.

Worst part for me is the temperature inconsistencies delay my body's natural acclamation to temperature, and makes me feel tired.

· Registered
4,305 Posts
If you've only been plowing for 10 years or so you've been spoiled! Check your averages. Ours is 24".We've had above average seasons for as long back as I can remember. We hit 70" a couple of times and I think last year was 50"+ Might be a little less for you being on the island but probably similar. It all averages out. That being said its not easy looking at #'s and seeing your income down by 50% from the year before! I want to leave snow plowing after a great year,guess it won't be this year :cry:

5,531 Posts
Definitely a change since we were kids. Back in HS, I recall snow in November, and it stayed till April. Now, its a roller coaster , and fluctuates from 20's to 60's on a daily basis. Nothing, like it was, but I agree it's mother nature, and just another cycle of unpredictable.

Worst part for me is the temperature inconsistencies delay my body's natural acclamation to temperature, and makes me feel tired.
Yes makes me feel tired too. I remember back when most everyone owned snow chains and sleds. Not anymore. Still get some cold and snows. The extremes are just rare now in comparison to the pre 95. Remember the Frozen tundra nicname for the green bay packer stadium? Who is calling it that these days? Extremes happen. Just more rare

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Ha ha...

I'm the ONLY idiot in my neighborhood who actually has separate snow tires, just used from November through March.

Granted they're on the plow truck, but still..

Cars with no rear hubcaps, snow tires on back, and the sounds of studded tires hitting the roads are a distant memory.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
According to weather records, on average, we don't get any less/more snow/ or colder/warmer temps than we did 120yrs ago
Don't tell the global warming folks. They'll protest your home wearing masks, while carrying horns and small sticks with pointy ends.

5,531 Posts
Really not about how much snow you get. Actually too much high pressure can dry things out. . Just more rare that it gets cold enough to snow here. Ground temps too warm to stick many times. Up north it can still easily get cold enough to snow and stick

· Registered
17,050 Posts
Global surface temperature has been measured since 1880 at a network
of ground-based and ocean-based sites. Over the last century, the average surfacetemperature of the Earth has increased by about 1.0F. The eleven warmest years this century have all occurred since 1980, with1995 the warmest on record.​

· Registered
15,771 Posts
According to weather records, on average, we don't get any less/more snow/ or colder/warmer temps than we did 120yrs ago
Depends... If guesstomologists are the ones keeping those records they're probably screwed up too like their forecasts...

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Depends... If guesstomologists are the ones keeping those records they're probably screwed up too like their forecasts...
Pretty sure those records are kept by the same scientists that claim the ice caps will be gone in 20yrsThumbs Up

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.