Snow Plowing Forum banner

What grade of bolts to attach plow frame to truck frame?

6K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  elite1msmith 
#1 ·
Looking over instructions for many frames, grade 5 bolts are mostly used. Is there any reason to use grade five and not grade 8? Thanks

#5 ·
Definately use grade 5. The instructions say that for a reason.

#8 ·
My Blizzard plow came with Grade 8. There is much less difference in strength between 5 and 8 compared to the difference between 2 and 5. So 5's are probably fine, and cheaper.

Personally, I like to use 8's on most of my projects. If you break off Grade 5's, you are going to bend the frame anyway in most instances. It's a good thought, but I don't think it will hold true as there is not much difference in strength between 5 and 8.

#9 ·
I'd say this depends. I've broke metric 8.8's on my mount, with no damage to either mount or truck. Replacement upgrade to 10.8 IIRC.

#13 ·
on a plow mount to the frame of your truck you want g5 bolts. the bolts are softer and will wear under use. a g8 bolt will not wear, but your truck frame will. ever see a mount that was all sloppy and the holes on the truck were worn out? g5 bolts will snap off under severe load( stacking/ramming) g8 bolts will trash your truck frame.

#14 ·
i asked this exact question to a dealer 2 weeks ago , for a western ultra... he said GRADE 5, because 8 could bend the frame...5 will shear off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.