• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

what gear to use

rangerdad

I have a 92 chevy 1500 v8 w/4wheel drive. I am new to plowing.What I want to know is what gear range do I use for plowing, 2 wheel drive, 4H , or 4L. Which is best for the trans and engine so that they don't over heat.

Larry

Ohiosnow

Larry

4 H will be what you use 95% of the time. If the snow is fluffy & the lot is flat ,I sometime plow in 2 H. Brent

CT18fireman

Banned
You do not say if the truck is Auto or Manual. I like low for driveways and such when using the Auto. In open areas you will want to use 4 high. I run Fords so not sure how the Chevy manual is but on a Ford 1st gear is a pulling gear that seems to work fine for plowing in 4high. On my Toyota though I often use low with the manual in driveways cause the 1st gear is a higher ratio.

If you have an auto I would recommend a cooler and temp guage. If the temp goes up stop and let the truck idle till the temp drops.

Mick

PlowSite.com Veteran
The first thing you need is snow:( .

For an auto transmission, 4H most of the time. 2H for open, large lots with light snow. I've never yet used 4L and I've plowed some pretty steep drives. I've got one that's so steep, I don't even try to plow uphill. I get a good run, go to the top with the plow raised so I can turn around and plow (every 2-3") down hill.

Pelican

2000 Club Member
No one mentioned it yet, so for heavy wet snow, or conditions where you are putting a lot of load on the truck, use low range. This will take the load off your transmission and let the transfer case do the work. If your motor revs a lot higher and your not moving much, it's time for low range, excessive heat will destroy your tranny.

cat320

2000 Club Member
I think that every one is right 4 high for normal snow conditions 4 low for really muddie or wet,deep snow or if really light and fluffy or 1" use 2 high.

I use 4H all the time in all my trucks... and have only used 4L once since 1997 and that was to pull a stuck Bobcat out of a ditch. 4L on a 7.3 Powerstroke has some serious balls.