Snow Plowing Forum banner

What does this mean??

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pinky Demon 
#1 ·
I didnt want to hi-jack another thread. My truck is the following
2001 F250 CC 4x4 6.8 auto lariat. it has the 4.30 rear end LS AC and the tow package. The part I cant figure out is the springs.
The front spring code is "T" or 4400#.
The rear spring code is "B" or 6830#.
Previous owner installed a 7.6' Fisher plow. ALso installed airbags in the rear only.
Why would he put air bags in the rear that has an decent spring rate but not in the front that has a week spring rate. Also with a 6.8 I am assuming it is heavier than the 5.4. Why wouldnt this truck have been ordered with at least a #5200 front spring since it is a cc and has the heaviest gas engine. Reason I ask is I am planning on having front springs swapped out for the #5200 springs when I get ball joints done in a few weeks. Just seems odd to have such a squishy front end on a heavy truck. Let the flaming begin.

#2 ·
The "T" and "B" code springs are the "go to" springs from the factory for the 6.8. If the truck had been ordered with a snow plow prep package, it would have received "X" code springs.

My truck is a diesel and came with "V" code springs in the front and "B" codes in the rear. I swapped out for a set of "X" codes this summer. I cant remember what their rating is but my plow squats the front end less than an inch now versus 2-3 inches with the old springs.

#3 ·
Sounds like the guy bought the truck off the lot. Being an F250, it's probably fairly level unloaded, and anything more than 1000lbs or so is going to make the back end look really squatty, even though the truck will handle it just fine. As such, he probably added air bags. A 7.5 straight plow isn't very heavy, so the truck probably handled it just fine. The front air bag kits for the 99-04 trucks work AWESOME for roughly the same cost of upgraded springs after the fact. If you're going to put a heavier plow on it, look into air bags for the front.

#5 ·
Shop's Lawn;1084573 said:
How did you figure out what code springs you have?
Open the drivers door and look down towards the lower right hand side. There should be a white sticker. In the lower right hand side of that sticker will be the letters "SPR". Under SPR, there are two letters. The first letter is the front spring code and the second is the rear spring code.

Mine are "VB"

#6 ·
padec21;1084504 said:
I didnt want to hi-jack another thread. My truck is the following
2001 F250 CC 4x4 6.8 auto lariat. it has the 4.30 rear end LS AC and the tow package. The part I cant figure out is the springs.
The front spring code is "T" or 4400#.
The rear spring code is "B" or 6830#.
Previous owner installed a 7.6' Fisher plow. ALso installed airbags in the rear only.
Why would he put air bags in the rear that has an decent spring rate but not in the front that has a week spring rate. Also with a 6.8 I am assuming it is heavier than the 5.4. Why wouldnt this truck have been ordered with at least a #5200 front spring since it is a cc and has the heaviest gas engine. Reason I ask is I am planning on having front springs swapped out for the #5200 springs when I get ball joints done in a few weeks. Just seems odd to have such a squishy front end on a heavy truck. Let the flaming begin.
Don't worry about it. My 4400 front end carried a 7' 6" Western beautifully for 2 years. It's the same as yours 250 CC/SB V10 with 3.73s and a whole bunch of other sh*t I've added over the years. Now that I'm going to a bigger plow, I'm going to a bigger spring.

Look at it this way, until you get the 5200s, your ass thanks you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.