What do you wear plowing???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HandyHaver, Dec 9, 2000.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I was just wondering if there are certain brands of clothes,
    gloves, boots hats ect. that may be prefered. I am going to be plowing mostly res. drives & clearing walks. I'll have help with me running the snow blower to do the walks, but I'm sure that I'll be done before they are ( on some) and I'll get the shovel. I can see me being in & out of the truck ALOT!!! I hunt all winter long and know how to dress in layers, have decent boots, gloves ect. Are there any preferences or just common sense.

2. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

NO jackets with collars or hoods. My head spins around too many times, and I end up with severe irritation on my neck from the collar rubbing.

3. RB

RB Senior Member

Clothing

I wear carhartt coveralls some waterproof boots ($24.00 from KMart), a headband that covers ears and most importantly a good pair of gloves; the type w/fingers exposed. I put them on when I leave the house and leave them on until I get home.

I think the key is to be comfortable. Don't worry too much about dressing for artic weather. You'll be working hard and generating some heat.

4. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Birthday suit with coat and tie. I like to make a good impression on our clients.

5. OP
    OP
    HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I would think the cold would tend to shrink the impressionable aspects of your appearance................

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

What... his ears ??

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

All my guys have Carhartt cloats and lined pants for plowing, the Shovelers get coveralls.

Geoff

9. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

All our trucks have heaters.

Our guys are required to wear collared shirts (polo) and be clean shaven in case they come into contact with a customer.

I myself prefer a short sleeve polo with dockers. I keep the gloves, carhart jacket (for repairs) and leather coat (for style) in the back seat, but I don't wear that while plowing.

Turn up the heat, keeps the windows clear!

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I plow in t-shirt and jeans. A quilted flannel shirt and watch cap on the seat go on when I need to clear walks, the leather coat hanging on the hook behind the drivers seat goes on when I need to deal with a customer. Oh yeah several pairs of insulated work gloves lined up on the floor to dry (courtesy of a friend at the local electric utility).

11. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

In truck sweatshirt and jeans with rubber boots, outside Carhartt jacket & pants almost indstructable and real warm!!!!!

12. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Long johns, comfortable jeans, T-shirt, Oh... take the wallet out of the back pocket, makes for a sore back after a few hours.

-Tim

13. CCLC

CCLC Member

Comfortable clothes. If you will be sitting for a while wear comfortable clothes. If you have to get out windproof coat, hat, gloves, and warm sorel boots. Keep the feet warm and dry.

14. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

In all seriousness from my last post, it's supposed to get to around -15 overnight on Mon/Tues with windchills around -40. 'Style' and looks aren't going to be a concern for us, but rather keeping our staff warm and safe. I'd rather focus on quality of work, rather than how we look; especially at 3a.m.

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I wear comfortable jeans,a t-shirt,then a long sleeve hooded sweater,and a pair of sorel boots,on the seat i have a polar king coverall in case i have to get out for long time or get stranded,you could sleep in this thing outside at zero and not get cold.I also keep 2 pr of work gloves in the truck,ans a a box of rubber disposable food service gloves,a throw them on when i have to reload the v-box,get dirty under the hood,or adjusting the chain or shovel-they keep my hands clean and are very cheap.I hate dirty hands,Ive got a complex about having clean hands,And i wont even touch my steering wheel with dirty hands,let alone plow for hrs like that.

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

hehe not bashing you lazer but I would love to see you sloshing around in the snow in your dockers hehe

I'd say if you want good cold weather, durable, American made (except for a few carhartt products), clothes go with Carhartt, Key or Walls, I own all three and they are awesome very durable and warm.

cowboy

17. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Why would I be out in the snow?

I stay in my truck or in the office.

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

I was just kidding