What do you wear plowing???

HandyHaver

I was just wondering if there are certain brands of clothes,
gloves, boots hats ect. that may be prefered. I am going to be plowing mostly res. drives & clearing walks. I'll have help with me running the snow blower to do the walks, but I'm sure that I'll be done before they are ( on some) and I'll get the shovel. I can see me being in & out of the truck ALOT!!! I hunt all winter long and know how to dress in layers, have decent boots, gloves ect. Are there any preferences or just common sense.

jaclawn

NO jackets with collars or hoods. My head spins around too many times, and I end up with severe irritation on my neck from the collar rubbing.

RB

Clothing

I wear carhartt coveralls some waterproof boots ($24.00 from KMart), a headband that covers ears and most importantly a good pair of gloves; the type w/fingers exposed. I put them on when I leave the house and leave them on until I get home.

I think the key is to be comfortable. Don't worry too much about dressing for artic weather. You'll be working hard and generating some heat.

Lazer

All our trucks have heaters.

Our guys are required to wear collared shirts (polo) and be clean shaven in case they come into contact with a customer.

I myself prefer a short sleeve polo with dockers. I keep the gloves, carhart jacket (for repairs) and leather coat (for style) in the back seat, but I don't wear that while plowing.

Turn up the heat, keeps the windows clear!

thelawnguy

PlowSite.com Addict
I plow in t-shirt and jeans. A quilted flannel shirt and watch cap on the seat go on when I need to clear walks, the leather coat hanging on the hook behind the drivers seat goes on when I need to deal with a customer. Oh yeah several pairs of insulated work gloves lined up on the floor to dry (courtesy of a friend at the local electric utility).

SlimJim Z71

PlowSite.com Addict
Long johns, comfortable jeans, T-shirt, Oh... take the wallet out of the back pocket, makes for a sore back after a few hours.

-Tim

CCLC

Comfortable clothes. If you will be sitting for a while wear comfortable clothes. If you have to get out windproof coat, hat, gloves, and warm sorel boots. Keep the feet warm and dry.

iowastorm

In all seriousness from my last post, it's supposed to get to around -15 overnight on Mon/Tues with windchills around -40. 'Style' and looks aren't going to be a concern for us, but rather keeping our staff warm and safe. I'd rather focus on quality of work, rather than how we look; especially at 3a.m.

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
I wear comfortable jeans,a t-shirt,then a long sleeve hooded sweater,and a pair of sorel boots,on the seat i have a polar king coverall in case i have to get out for long time or get stranded,you could sleep in this thing outside at zero and not get cold.I also keep 2 pr of work gloves in the truck,ans a a box of rubber disposable food service gloves,a throw them on when i have to reload the v-box,get dirty under the hood,or adjusting the chain or shovel-they keep my hands clean and are very cheap.I hate dirty hands,Ive got a complex about having clean hands,And i wont even touch my steering wheel with dirty hands,let alone plow for hrs like that.

cowboy

hehe not bashing you lazer but I would love to see you sloshing around in the snow in your dockers hehe

I'd say if you want good cold weather, durable, American made (except for a few carhartt products), clothes go with Carhartt, Key or Walls, I own all three and they are awesome very durable and warm.

cowboy

Top Forums