1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

what do i need for insurance?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FurFishGame, Oct 11, 2013.

  1. FurFishGame

    FurFishGame Member
    Messages: 35

    Im planning on starting a plowing business, I've been doing it commercially for a few years, with a couple residentals,
    wanting to stick with residential for now, what do i need for insurance? obviously I have the standard insurance for driving my truck on the highway, what do i need after that?

    im 17, will turn 18 in january, will getting the proper insurance be hard to get since I'm not 18?
  2. coppertec

    coppertec Member
    from calgary
    Messages: 52

    your age is going to be the biggest road block, im sorry to say. with a clean driving record, my f150 was something ******** like 450 a MONTH from when i was 23 until about a year and a half ago, where it became about $170/mo, which i am still paying (im 26 in a month)
    i have been getting quotes for my first stint plowing on my chevy 3/4 ton, and for most of the brokers i talked to, i was quoted about 6800-7800 a year because i was "high risk" despite my clean record and day job driving premium cars. they said it was due to the car either being "new to me" or lack of experience driving a plow that it was so high.

    lucky for me, i seemed to have gotten a hook up through work that seems legit- i'll be paying $143/month which covers the car and $2,000,000 liability. im currently checking to make sure i am not missing anything but it seems like i hit a stroke of luck on this policy.

    obviously it will vary on drivers abstracts, regions, and state to province (AB has a privatized auto insurance sector) so my suggestion is to talk to as many brokers as possible and utilize word of mouth for anyone you think might have a hook up in the industry. could save you 6g's a year :0
  3. JCByrd24

    JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 232

    Auto insurance rates do drop significantly when you turn 25. Also don't hesitate to ask insurance questions directly to your current agent or another one. I will tell you that if you are plowing commercially (making $$) on regular personal auto insurance you will not be covered if you get in an accident or damage someones property. Just read your current policy thoroughly and it will say something to the effect that you are not covered for commercial activity.
  4. Chineau

    Chineau Senior Member
    Messages: 447

    every area different.

    Auto insurance is one thing but you want to check into slip and fall as a separate policy, hotels,malls, generally want to be added to your policy.
  5. Ben/Insurance

    Ben/Insurance Sponsor
    Messages: 166

    I'm not familiar with the insurance laws in Alaska but I would think you would need a General Liability (GL) policy to cover any trip/falls. Your truck insurance will not cover that. Your best resource will be a local independent insurance agent that handles business insurance.
  6. Team_Arctic

    Team_Arctic Senior Member
    Messages: 176

    your going to need a GL policy and most commercial places require a million dollar liability for auto. insurance is the most expensive part of this business...