Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree
Hello,
I purchased this with two plows and don't know anything about the setup. The truck is a 1999 CK 2500 regular cab. Any input would be appreciated. I am hoping to use this to plow my 2 residential properties this winter.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one on the ground appears to be missing springs and?? I have yet to pick up this rig. What will I need to do to make sure it is ready for winter? Was this a decent plow? Why do you think they had 2 plows? Something broken or wrong with the first one?

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
They both look like Diamond conventionals, though the first one seems to be missing the trip spring hardware. Perhaps he had the second blade for parts or a backup?

I wasn't aware that you could even put a conventional on that year (legally)

Edit: just saw your post just ahead of mine. You potentially wouldn't need to do anything except mount the plow (the one in the bed) and connect the hoses - if the hydraulics and everything else actually works. I'd ask to see it on the truck and operated if that is your reason for buying it, cuz that's a big "if"

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They both look like Diamond conventionals, though the first one seems to be missing the trip spring hardware. Perhaps he had the second blade for parts or a backup?

I wasn't aware that you could even put a conventional on that year (legally)

Edit: just saw your post just ahead of mine. You potentially wouldn't need to do anything except mount the plow (the one in the bed) and connect the hoses - if the hydraulics and everything else actually works. I'd ask to see it on the truck and operated if that is your reason for buying it, cuz that's a big "if"
I purchased it already. Truck is supposed to run and operate. I want to get this to plow my residential property and that is about it.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
I purchased it already. Truck is supposed to run and operate. I want to get this to plow my residential property and that is about it.
The biggest issue will be putting it on and off which will be a PITA. If you are using the truck just for plowing, you could leave it connected all the time. But you won't actually know if it works until you put it on.

You can try and operate the controller to lift the plow right now (well, once you pick it up) and see if the cylinder raises the lift arm. It won't guarantee that the plow is 100%, but if it fails that test, then you know you definitely have issues to contend with.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biggest issue will be putting it on and off which will be a PITA. If you are using the truck just for plowing, you could leave it connected all the time. But you won't actually know if it works until you put it on.

You can try and operate the controller to lift the plow right now (well, once you pick it up) and see if the cylinder raises the lift arm. It won't guarantee that the plow is 100%, but if it fails that test, then you know you definitely have issues to contend with.
Is putting on and off worse than an old conventional Fisher? Suppose I have issues with the lift cylinder or what would you guess would be cost to get functional? Suppose the worst case scenario.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Hook up would be similar to a conventional Fisher

The lift cylinder test is just to see if the pump works at all. Worst case scenario would require all new pump, controller, wiring, hoses, and cylinders. So a metric shirt tonne of money. But you dont even have the truck so there is no point in worrying about worst cases yet

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so I have the truck in my possession. The toggle switch seems to activate the solenoids for up, right, and left. I hear a click when moving the toggle switch. The lift cylinder does not go up. The electric motor seems to have a kind of broken (+) Terminal. I took the motor off and connected the ground and energized the up on the toggle switch. I turned the shaft by hand with zero results. I would imagine that thing turns pretty fast with the motor and would do nothing if turned by hand. How can I trouble shoot to see if the lift cylinder is any good without purchasing a new motor. I want to know if this is going to work before I throw any money at it. I guess it is also possible that there is deficient levels of hydraulic fluid?? Any input appreciated.

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Grille

Automotive tire Tire Tread Bumper Fender

· Registered
85 Posts
Guess you need to ask yourself what your skill level is. How good are your electrical troubleshooting skills are. Start by opening the motor up and see what’s going on the that one broken battery terminal and can it be repaired. If it’s not repairable is the rest of the setup worth the price of a motor? Might try goggling Meyers E58 for some troubleshooting info. Good luck.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
A drill.
Dis you ck the fluid level

· Registered
14,949 Posts
No clue, try it both ways

· Registered
38 Posts
ok first chk the fluid = add as necessary
the motors are not that much [there are several options on ebay] got mine there [after researching seller]
no return (?) no buy from them
you pay to return (?) no buy from them
low rating? no buy from them
the pump isnt that expensive to rebuild [if it needs it] thats if it leaks or dont work with a new motor.
first fill the fluid and put a new motor on it - then test it, If it raises - thats the first test - angles? 2nd test
if it works - drain the fluid and put in new fluid after cleaning it and replacing the drain plug.
if it works you are good to plow.

If not?
troubleshooting begins
meyers online is a good source for free troubleshooting information. [found in their manual too] the flow chart will help you through the process.

[the new coils A,B,C are under 200 for all three of them. seal kits are not high either](shop around)
the 58 uses the same 3 coils as the 47 and 60-

If it raises and lowers - the B raise and A lowers (those are good) [might clean them and test them again]
C coil and valve angles
{check, clean and dielectric grease the electrical wire connections to be sure they are working}

get a manual or instructions online.
there should be plenty of places that have good manuals online that have pictures to show you how it should work and how you can troubleshoot and fix it when it.

meyers online is a good source for free troubleshooting information.
they also have a dandy dealer locator [good luck finding a good dealer]
online you will find some good sources for instructions and parts. [shop around]
google search will show you many to choose from.
some have good youtube videos that are very helpful.

*[not all are good - so surf around and keep an open mind] it costs nothing to shop till you find that one that has what you need and to find that video/instructions you need

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
ok first chk the fluid = add as necessary
the motors are not that much [there are several options on ebay] got mine there [after researching seller]
no return (?) no buy from them
you pay to return (?) no buy from them
low rating? no buy from them
the pump isnt that expensive to rebuild [if it needs it] thats if it leaks or dont work with a new motor.
first fill the fluid and put a new motor on it - then test it, If it raises - thats the first test - angles? 2nd test
if it works - drain the fluid and put in new fluid after cleaning it and replacing the drain plug.
*[not all are good - so surf around and keep an open mind] it costs nothing to shop till you find that one that has what you need and to find that video/instructions you need
So you only recommend buying from dealers that send you parts, let you try them, use them, and then return them at their expense? Can you suggest a seller that drives out and installs them for free for you to try as well?

· Registered
38 Posts
So you only recommend buying from dealers that send you parts, let you try them, use them, and then return them at their expense? Can you suggest a seller that drives out and installs them for free for you to try as well?
yes returns can be done [return in new condition]
I have had a couple different sellers send me refurbished or used parts that I promptly sent back as I only buy from those that accept returns and pay for the return shipping. its their mistake - the ad said it was "new"
yes they have free returns condition are 14 or 30 days in unused condition.
1 sent me a used/refurbed dented motor and I arranged a return. it wouldnt even install (?) it was bad

dishonest sellers will not accept returns.

it would be great if they installed them too. ;)

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
yes returns can be done [return in new condition]
I have had a couple different sellers send me refurbished or used parts that I promptly sent back as I only buy from those that accept returns and pay for the return shipping. its their mistake - the ad said it was "new"

dishonest sellers will not accept returns.

it would be great if they installed them too. ;)
So, you would only purchase new pieces, yet you expect the sellers to send you new pieces, let you try them (i.e., making them used), then take them back at their expense afterward?

Did it ever occur to you that the honest sellers just might be the ones that sell a new piece and refuse to take back used pieces that they can no longer sell as new?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.