• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

What are you using on flat roofs for moving snow

Elite Snow Removal

looking to add another tool for roof snow removal. I have a small flat roof (sun room or something like that) that always fills in and it’s kinda a lot of work with a grain shovel and you risk hiting the rubber roof. Just wondering what others use.
Anyone use these or are they worthless?
B7DF31DF-7C25-4E03-BB9E-40BCA2E1CE3E.jpeg
553D655D-F4B6-4ADF-BE24-F0155349C629.jpeg

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Toro, 1800 Power Curve, 15A Motor, Electric Snow Thrower, 18" Clearing Width, 12" Intake Height, Push Drive System, New Zip Deflector, Ergonomic Handle, Larger Wheels, Chute Lever, Weighs Only 24.5 LB,

Or
Hire it out

OP
E

Elite Snow Removal

Toro, 1800 Power Curve, 15A Motor, Electric Snow Thrower, 18" Clearing Width, 12" Intake Height, Push Drive System, New Zip Deflector, Ergonomic Handle, Larger Wheels, Chute Lever, Weighs Only 24.5 LB,

Or
Hire it out
Yea that would be a nice size. Do they make them in 2stroke to?

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
How heavy are those small battery blowers? If it's for a relatively small area that might work. Maybe even tie a rope to it at the bottom of the ladder and use the ladder to glide it up (just a thought if you were worried about climbing while holding something)

If there is any risk of hitting a roof membrane, I'd get an all plastic shovel, with no metal scraper. That or drill the rivets out remove to scraper. They won't do as much damage.

Snow plow shovel also makes a grain scoop type shovel that I believe is all plastic

icudoucme

Plastic horse poop shovel and a kids sled. Most of the rooves in my area are either tpe or stone. the single stage blowers throw rocks and break stuff, or damage the roof. Your best bet is a good light shovel with a plastic edge.

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
Do you know what yours says word for word with out going to find the paperwork? I don’t so I’ll have to look. Busy moving snow now. Besides this thread isn’t about insurance
Word for word, no, but I know what I'm covered to work on and what time not. But hey, it's just your..well everything.. if someone falls off a roof and you're not covered

the Suburbanite

2000 Club Member
Do you know what yours says word for word with out going to find the paperwork? I don’t so I’ll have to look. Busy moving snow now. Besides this thread isn’t about insurance
Word for word, no, but I know what I'm covered to work on and what time not. But hey, it's just your..well everything.. if someone falls off a roof and you're not covered
Not trying to make this thread about insurance, trying to make sure that if you're involved in activities that expose you up to significant liabilities, that you are aware of what the stakes are. A fall or unintentional roof damage/leaks can get cripplingly expensive, quick.

EDIT: When I got my first GL policy I thought I did a good job of telling the agent what I needed coverage for. The agent urged me to "not mention" a few of the activities, lest that raise my premium. That defeated the point of getting insurance, to me.

Anyways, I have been thinking about picking up a rubber-paddle electric blower to test on my own low pitch asphalt roof. I have two clients I clear snow on similar roofs for (plastic shovels only) and I'd love to do it quicker. Full disclosure: both roofs currently leak if ice-dams occur. I will be replacing both roofs this summer, until then, I periodically shovel them to minimize build up .

Tip: only push shovel or blower downhill on roof, this will greatly minimize the possibilities of lifting seams or shingles.

Last edited:

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
I’ve done single stage Toros many times on those types of roofs. Lifted them up ladders or with ropes. Not the small Toros, the normal size 3650’s or 221’s. Also done the hand shoveling. The sled is a great idea, we never did that, just threw as far as we could.

I realize a question can not be answered without a question most the time. I also realize how important liabilities are, but What does a shovel question have to do with liabilities. Yes my liabilities do not allow me to climb trees. I still take them down with the excavator and had no problems with my carrier while land clearing.

Last edited: