1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you using for ballast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JDiepstra, Nov 4, 2008.

1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hi guys. We all know it is imortant to use a ballast. What are you using? And how much does it weigh?

I used 400# of bagged sand behind the axle last year. I am looking for a little more!

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

cement blocks 480 lbs
    snow blower 140 lbs.
    sand ???lbs.

3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Salt spreaders!! Anywhere from 500lbs to about 12k lbs. :gunsfiring:

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a 6 lead ingots that bolt on to a C channel that plugs into my receiver hitch. about #500

5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I use the lowballers that I've "removed" from the business... :gunsfiring: :D

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I usualy put some sand in the back about 100lb, or sometimes I will stick my ATV in the back wich weighs about 700lb.

7. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Just make sure you aren't overweight!

I use sand/salt mix in a couple of plastic bins. I figure that way if I need some sand for traction somewhere, I have it readily available. Plus the snowblower, crap in my tool box and accumulated snow from the storm...

8. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I use a concrete wall cap from a commercial wall. It is 12"x24"x48" and has a hook on the top it weighs 1350# and works great, all I have to do is through it in the back with a chain and skidloader

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Leaning towards sand -bags and salt, since I have to salt some business and sidewalks...

10. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Rock salt in storage totes

11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

about 600#"s of sand bags over the rear axle, then bagged salt and snow blower between wheel wells and tailgate... so its probaly well above 1000#'s at the start of the night.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I use sand and salt bags. You may need to salt if you get stuck sometime.

13. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

Last year: 800# ish, combination of salt bags and some other crap.

This year: salt bags, and a bunch of fieldstone i have left over from a job.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  14. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I will be using tube sand, and probably a couple bags of salt just in case I need them to get unstuck :)

15. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

i use the other winter transportation in the pickup. comes in handy if you have a serious breakdown and need to retrive parts and tools if someone can't get to you, easy to load, just back up to a snow bank, though it isn't the easiest to unload by yourself, but can be done.

120141134ZZZZZZZZZ8an64674236178a1f72.jpg

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i use somewhere between a empty V-box and a V-box with a ton and half of bulk in it LOL

17. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

we use a full pallet of salt in each of our trucks at the start of each snow

18. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I use sandbags, seems to be the easiest thing that ive come across since i dont have a spreader. I put a 2x8 in the pre- made slot in the bed to prevent them from sliding forward and to keep the weight as far to the tail as possible

19. roadstar

roadstar Junior Member
    from Indiana

I use 550# of IH tractor weights between the wheel wells and the tailgate.

20. Three fish totes with sand and/or small gravel. One storm last year I plowed with a pallet of bricks in the back; I figure it was about 2200 lbs. With all that weight, I never needed to turn on 4WD!

This year I'm hoping to find a 1" thick piece of plate steel to put behind the wheel wells. Then I can run a couple bolts through the bed of the truck to hold it in place. The plate should end up somewhere between 400 and 500lbs and won't take up barely any space at all.