Western wideout melted power cable

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
I notice the many asterisks in that sentence.

Does that mean that the average consumer (who thinks a little dielectric grease will make his connection good and a lot will make it great) are expected to know that they need to apply it with a Q-tip to the plug connection? 'Cuz I totally see that as happening.
I embellished with the Asterix for your enjoyment.

maybe the average consumer should read the label first?

Idk
Stupid is stupid does

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
If it cant handle a load does that mean my pump motor is going out? I have a parts plow in the yard so maybe swapping the pumps out.

Whoa, slow down there. No one suggested yanking your pump off yet. You could have had something as simple as a plug not fully pushed in and arcing (I am not saying that was the actual cause here)

Replace the melted cable (and I'd replace the solenoid too for safety sake.)
Clean the other plug.
Try it. See if the plug end gets warm. If it doesn't, great. If it starts heating up, come back here and we'll talk about next steps.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
I’d prefer grounding to the engine block
and closer to the alternator the better
Or
( part of the “big3”)
(And not that this has anything to do with your melted cables )
but while we’re there why don’t we put a larger cable from the alternator(ground) to the battery.
then you could move your plow ground to your battery .

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Since the OP is probably going to be purchasing some parts. Has Western sent out any price increase yet? Just speaking in general.

Last one announced was in August.

Next one is scheduled for:

1633023769361.jpeg

The good news is that both that power cable and the solenoid are relatively cheap (in the grand scheme of things)

Top Forums