Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i owned a 1998 F250 with a unimount Western plow. It's all rusted out and the tranny dropped so i wanted to move this plow setup to my 2011 tundra. I looked into it and it would require an entire electrical wiring setup that costs wayyy too much. Got quoted $2200. If i do not care about the lights on the plow, don't i just hook up the positive, negative and the accessories wire of my old wire harness and i should be able to operate the plows movements, right? I did buy the truck side mount already so it's physically hooked up.

This is the wiring harness i have: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13766_100501.pdf

Thanks in advance!!!

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
i owned a 1998 F250 with a unimount Western plow. It's all rusted out and the tranny dropped so i wanted to move this plow setup to my 2011 tundra. I looked into it and it would require an entire electrical wiring setup that costs wayyy too much. Got quoted $2200. If i do not care about the lights on the plow, don't i just hook up the positive, negative and the accessories wire of my old wire harness and i should be able to operate the plows movements, right? I did buy the truck side mount already so it's physically hooked up.

This is the wiring harness i have: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13766_100501.pdf

Thanks in advance!!!
You can't connect the lights to the Tundra lights, but you can run a toggle switch from the battery to the the wires that go to the relays to make the plow lights work. You'll just have to manually turn off the truck lights.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you have the mount, and the conversion kit on? You could just install the plow control harness, solenoid and battery cables. You do not go on the road with this?
yes. i have the truckside mount, conversion kit (needed this before)... i use this personally and if anything, i can just rig up LED lights to the plow. I completed the above, and it's just not working. wonder if my controller is messed up. need to find someone so i can test the controller, unless you know a way to see if controller is working.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
You can't connect the lights to the Tundra lights, but you can run a toggle switch from the battery to the the wires that go to the relays to make the plow lights work. You'll just have to manually turn off the truck lights.
Exactly how mine is wired. I made a custom mini harness, some heavy duty Hella relays, and it's run off of two rocker switches, through the harness. I can have just high, or low or both, and then flip my truck headlamps on if I come across a dead body (or nearly dead one) while plowing my commercials.;)

· Registered
769 Posts
only ground wire is the main from batt and one for the solenoid/relay. did i miss something?
The controller ground comes from the solenoid (orange wire with a black tracer), and the solenoid gets it's ground from the battery.
AKA The small post on the solenoid that goes to battery ground should have 2 wires connected to it.

If the orange black wire is hooked up and it is still not working it is possible that your harness is damaged.
You can either use an old school test light to check for ground at the controller, or just cut the wire and ground the controller in the cab.

On a side note your controller is (+) switching so a lack of ground should only affect the latching curcuit for float.
Even without ground all other functions should still work...
Maybe you have a bad solenoid.

· Registered
17,157 Posts
On your controller plug harness under the dash. Has 6 pins, terminal #3 is black/orange. This should go to ground out at the solenoid. If you have an OHM meter and experience using it, check the circuit. And check your ignition current supply at the red wire at the same plug.

· Registered
6,904 Posts
If you run power to the black wire and white wire for plow headlights,like previously stated, just use a three position toggle switch and feed it with fused battery power.

Reactions: soundnstyl
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.