Western straight blade to v plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by awchevy, Sep 12, 2019.

1. awchevy

awchevy Junior Member

I have a straight blade ultra mount pro on my truck now. I looked at my harness and it's a 12 pin plug. If I upgrade to a v plow in the ultra mount era can I just swap controllers and it work or is there something else I need? Thanks for the help

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty much any V plow will require all new wiring and controller. Specifically what will depend on the exact plow. But even if you found a very old 12 pin v-plow, it won't have the right connector in the cab for the v plow controller

Philbilly2 likes this.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

Are we talking about 2 plug relay style wiring here?

As mentioned above, do you have the 14 pin round connector in the cab or a 6 pin rectangle?

If you have the 6 pin rectangle, the 12 pin vs 9 pin is related to the headlights

If I recall correct... You have independent grounds and low beam feeds to each headlight on the plow headgear.

4. OP
    OP
    awchevy

awchevy Junior Member

I have the 6 pin rectangle cab connector. Is there a adapter or do I need a whole new harness? And if I were to buy a vplow could I hook up to it and at least lift it with the harness I have now to get it home?

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

You will need new harness and controller. With a floor jack you can hookup and get it home.

Philbilly2, BUFF and cwren2472 like this.
  6. Philbilly2

No adapter that I have ever heard of. I built an adapter back when I used to buy 3 plug plows when my trucks were all 2 pluggers. I could test the plow functions with the adapter and get it back home, but had no plow lights. I am sure you could build one to pick up the plow, but for only one plow, it is not worth it IMO

Go with Randall's advice and pack a floor jack.

7. cwren2472

Keep in mind that this is all irrelevant until you find a 12 pin, 2 plug V plow for sale anyway. Considering the number out there for sale in America right now can probably be counted on 1 hand with fingers to spare, the chances of your stumbling across one (and that you want to buy) is low. So you should probably just accept that if you want to buy a V plow, you are going to have to buy a new harness.

8. Philbilly2

your a glass half empty guy hunh... o_O

9. cwren2472

I swear to God I own this mug

[​IMG]

Philbilly2 likes this.