WESTERN SECURITY controller set up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Cali.5Ton, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Hello all.

My new Westen midweight came with the controller security system.

I have read the manual..and tried to set up a lock code.

After I follow Instruction (1 button four times followed by 4 Button 4 times) when contrroller is off; the red on button lights up and green float button flashes quickly Indicating it is ready to accept my 4 Button down code.

I push my four buttons I wish to use for my code. And the controller turns off.

Then I turn it on .
    This is where my problem is...

I assume at this point I would have to enter my four button code to activate controls on the plow after pressing on button on the controller.

However. It does not seem to be requiring me to enter the code. I just turn it on and the controls work without needing me to enter the code.

If somoene could help me and explain to me if I'm missing a step or doing this inccorect.. I
    would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

That is normal operation. The code is stored in the controller and the module on the plow so you only need to enter it once, not every time you use the plow (which would be pretty annoying.) If you plugged in a different controller though, the plow would not work until you entered the code into it.

Cali.5Ton likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Okay awesome@@@@
    Thank you very much

Lol I guess it would be like a screen lock on a phone...eevery time it turned off you'd have to enter it. That would be annoying..

I was thinking about maybe for personal operators with kids who might try and take parents truck with a plow lol
    Cheers thanks

4. cwren2472

You shouldn't leave the controller in the truck anyway

But the purpose of the code is to keep someone else from pulling up to the plow when it's not on the truck and taking off with it

5. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

I undestand that. That’s why I wanted the code set up. SO I can leave it in my driveway without it being quickly connected and drove off with.

The other idea was just an afterthoughts of my misunderstanding of how it worked..

And really? Not keep controllers in truck???

I thought about bringing it in, but I had a hard time disconnecting it..

It’s wired up almost like a old telephone jack. First time I tried it it was in the dark and I figured I’d just leave it on!

I will have to go find out how to get it off.
    Thanks a lot

6. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

It must be like a 4 pin connection. Very small clear square

It seems pretty small though, and i am struggling to get it off.

just googled it and it’s about $2-400 for a new controller....damn right I’m taking it in! I was able to hide it in a dash compartment. But I’m going to go figure out how to disconnect it now.....probably a squeeze and pull job or something..

Thanks for the heads up

7. cwren2472

If a plow mount is visible on the front of your truck, there are a whole lot of people that will go in your truck (directly to the glove box followed second by the center console) looking for that controller. If you dont want to buy it back from your local pawn shop, dont put it there.

It's less common but I've seen controllers get ruined by high summer temperatures in the glove box too

As for removing it, the two halves of the plug just pull apart. There are no snaps or clips to pull. They are very small, so just look carefully to be sure you are pulling on the right pieces

8. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Hey man.
    Thanks!!
    I got er !! Safe innthe house now
    Last time I tried I didn’t give it much effort and was more excited with the plow.

Oh my, I had the plow unhooked , and then I disconnected the controller, thought sweet! Plug it back in make sure I didnt break it, lol then It wouldn’t light up! Uh oh!!! Panic!!? HAha sure enough took me more than half a minute to realize the plow is not hooked up or connections plugged in.

All is right now!

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

9. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

lol.

I saw this evening in a f250 or something with a Newish western v plow on It and a large spreader, it was parked in a parking lot, the controller was drapped over the rear view mirror and hanging from it , dead Center of dash floating in the air lol...
    I should have took a picture

Lol , I always hid mine until last night - and today .... carried it into dentist office , in the mall and to subway with me hahaha ,

I guess the smash and grab criminals out this way havent realized the opportunity ......and the risk/threat to the private plow operators isn’t high yet...

Hopefully it stays that way....

cwren2472 likes this.