Western pump info please

I've used Meyers and Fisher plow rigs for years and just acquired my first Western setup and I am learning about it the hard way. I don't have any manual or info and so far have found the cable to the pump ram was broken right at the pump housing. I shortened the cable and it does raise and lower(lowers slowly though) but it does not move side to side. Is the ram valve related to the R/L valving?. I know it was working right and left before I worked on the lift/lower cable.
I really need an overall theory of operation. I will buy a manual but is there any links to this info readily available. Maybe someone can give a short explanation of the two cable/valve system.
Thanks, Rich in the Hudson Valley.

paul soccodato

rich, i have a cable operated western on my ford, and last sesaon ( at 4:30 am) the plow wouldnt go up or down, then would only go left. turned out to be the raise/lower cable broke. i would tell you to change both cables. cheap insurance ( i paid $20 each ) just make sure you adjust them properly.

Jerre Heyer

Rich, The lift/lower has to be centered in the case for the Right/Left to work properly. If you have the lift/lower installed with the set screw in the groove in the cable end and it still drops slow there is an adjustment for the drop. If you can't get a manual online from Western, Call me for a hard copy. I have several service guides avail for the Cable style pump. Jerre

Top Forums