1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Products Updates Plow Line With New Halogen Headlamps

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I said yesterday.. but it got deleted??? Guess they don't want us to know where they got this technology from!!!

2. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I posted this for Western and I'm the one that removed the posts I thought were uncalled for...Western had nothing to do with it

Randall Ave and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

yup i said it too, and
    mike decided that it was not proper to ask the question....:nono:....
    so today i bought 2 Sylvania Ultra Stars for my red plow to try.....
    see a lot of posts about problems with red plows, mine included and received good help...
    thought it was part of the purpose of the forum

this post will probably be deleted as soon as i hit post also

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have new snow-ex plows, and will be putting in lightbars, it is insane how weak these 10k plows lights are

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

At least there is now groundbreaking halogen technology to help you see with 36% brighter light than before.

Hoshiwaa15 likes this.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Well it looks like I'm late to the party on this thread, but I don't get what all the rants could have been about.
    The announcement doesn't say they invented new bulbs. It says they have changed the Night Hawk lights, and that they are brighter and sealed up better, and are built tougher.

Personally I don't see anything to complain about. The front lens on the current ones have those little tabs that can break off, and when they do you have to replace the whole light. We would also get some with condensation inside (although that was usually on ones that had been in big boxes that had got wet).

And while I was a little surprised they didn't go with LED's I'm sure DD gave it full consideration and opted not to.

TKLAWN and Michael J. Donovan like this.
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^they were not rants, a lot of it was what you just mentioned, the need to upgrade

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Kind of hard for us to respond as what was said was already deleted. And we can't really repost it because it will get deleted again.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

prove it... o_O:confused::laugh:

BUFF, Hoshiwaa15 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  11. John_DeereGreen

What I'm betting on, is that no one from DD shows their face in this thread after seeing the outcome of their "upgrades" being posted and made public.

12. 1olddogtwo

Thank you for shedding some light on the subject......:hammerhead:

I only wish they would spend the R&D money on real R&D.

Just about every major manufacturer that I can think of, are switching over to LED.

As a plow manufacturer, they should be doing/looking out for their customers. Halogen headlights consume too much power, I have to run my seat heaters on low......:hammerhead:

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hmmm. I've never heard of that problem. ... So what happens with them on high, blows a fuse? and the plow lights are on the same fuse with seat heater? Those Boss LED's have a heating element added, so I'm not sure if the amp draw is much less, if any.

14. 1olddogtwo

Put down the DD Kool aid

You didn't sense the sarcasm?

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape 2000 Club Member

I dont have a problem with the DD lights and I think they work good. They are much better then the old unimount lights and even the Boss lights before the Boss LEDs. Maybe DD just thinks everyone is adding light bars all over the place anyway.

Defcon 5 likes this.
  16. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 2000 Club Member

Just like the Boss people show their face in the EXT thread....Or their "Game changing" cover for their Salt spreader...Which by they way...DD has had on their spreaders for many years now....You just need to throttle it back there scooter....We get it...Your not a DD fan....:hammerhead:

BUFF likes this.
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Sarcasm sensors are an upgrade and draw more power...

18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 2000 Club Member

Also...Aren't the almighty Boss LED lights an option??....A $600 option at that...Kinda like their "Smart locks" were until recently ...

19. John_DeereGreen

No they're standard now. I would assume not enough people were buying the $600 option so they raised the price of every plow $500 and made them standard.

20. John_DeereGreen

I completely agree...all this stuff from every brand is marketing at its finest. Doesn't matter which one. DD, Buyers, Boss, Meyer, doesn't matter it's all marketing.

Boss's EXT is a great example.

"Game changing"...the only game changing that flaming pos has done is setting records of how it short of a time period it takes to become scrap metal. If pat destroyed a wipeout in 20 hours or less, I'd hate to see the outcome of him with an EXT. Bet it wouldn't make it 2 hours.

1olddogtwo likes this.