1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Products Unveils New DEFENDER™ Compact Snowplow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Western Products Unveils New DEFENDER™ Compact Snowplow
    Steel plow brings pro-level performance to the consumer market
    Western Defender.png

Highlights:

• The WESTERN® DEFENDER™ is a compact plow designed specifically for mid-size pickup trucks and SUVs.
    • With a reinforced, high-strength steel blade, it’s durable and powerful.
    • A simple mechanical attaching system provides quick and easy hook-up.
    MILWAUKEE (March 15, 2017) – Western Products, manufacturer of WESTERN® snow removal and ice control equipment, introduces the new WESTERN DEFENDER™ compact snowplow. The DEFENDER is designed specifically to fit mid-size pickups and SUVs.

It features a high-strength, low-weight, alloy-steel blade, which is stronger and lighter than conventional steel. Six vertical ribs reinforce the blade, deliver exceptional torsional strength and eliminate blade twisting. A full-trip moldboard helps protect the plow and truck when encountering hidden obstacles.

“We wanted to give consumers a true WESTERN experience by providing a strong, effective plow, and that’s what the DEFENDER is,” said Doug Clark, Product Manager for Western Products. “Just because you’re plowing your own property doesn’t mean you can’t do it like a pro.”

New to all WESTERN plows in 2017—including the DEFENDER compact plow—are brighter, dual-bulb NIGHTHAWK™ halogen headlamps. Their longer beam pattern improves visibility, and the improved mounting system absorbs shock and vibration better.

The DEFENDER snowplow is packed with other features, including:

• 5" hardened-steel cutting edge, providing long-lasting performance and a clean scrape
    • Scrape Lock, which provides the scraping performance of a larger plow without the extra weight
    • Choice between CabCommand hand-held or joystick controls
    Information on the DEFENDER compact plow will be available on the WESTERN website in May 2017.

About Western Products

Western Products is proud to be a part of Douglas Dynamics, North America’s premier manufacturer and upfitter of commercial vehicle attachments and equipment, and home to the most trusted brands in the industry. For more than 65 years, the Company has been innovating products that not only enable people to perform their jobs more efficiently and effectively, but also enable businesses to increase profitability. For additional information on WESTERN products, visit our website or find your nearest WESTERN products dealer.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And it's on a Toyo.........

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

How is this different than a Suburbanite?

4. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

you would have to check with Western on any questions you have...I'm just posting it for them Thumbs Up

5. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I thought this is why they invented the HTS series

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Looks like a 7/8 scale HTS. Nice. Be interesting to see if Ultramount 2 makes it, or if they carried over the Suburbanite style mounts.

From looking at what I can see, obviously the lighting (Suburbanite still uses Gen 1 Ultramount style lights). The Defender has actual trip springs instead of those giant rubber band springs on the Suburbanite (You can see two studs top center of the moldboard). The moldboard construction looks more like the HTS and I would bet has welded vertical ribs where the Suburbanite has the moldboard bolted to the vertical ribs. Hydraulics are enclosed as well on the tower.

I would gander at the Defender being lighter. HTS is exactly that, a 1/2 ton truck plow. At 412lbs, its a bit more than a midsize truck can handle. Suburbanite for example currently comes in at 250lbs for the 6ft 8in, and 270lbs for the 7ft 4in. I'd bet the Defender runs similar sizes, and maybe a tad more weight.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm 2000 Club Member

western must have read the comments in the postings from the other day, it now describes the lights as having dual halogen bulbs to increase lighting..... i would assume that means 4 dual beam bulbs instead of 2

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

It looks like these will be the Western version of the Snowex LT, which does use a 'Personal Plow' style mount kit, not an Ultramount style mount.

And yes, we noticed a few years ago that the Blizzard/Snowex LT was quite a bit more plow than a Suburbanite, so we'd already been leaning that way for most customers. I imagine the Suburbanite might be phased out and replaced by the Defender.

So - then the next question would be if this hooks up just like the Snowex, with the switches on the headgear and stuff, or not. Since the Suburbanites had the stands that you remove and throw in the back of your truck.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Et probably be a game changer for guys ewezing UTVs.

10. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

It appeared to use the same mounts as a suburbanite,I didn't notice the jack stand method.
    I saw one today,it uses the same mount as a suburbanite or homesteader,I didn't notice what the jackleg set up was but I suspect it to be HTS like.

11. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I priced one locally and was given $4300 mounted. He said Western includes the mounting which I've never heard before. Pricey when you look at the SnowEx for same $ and better mount. IMHO