Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new(er) truck and plow this spring/summer. I'm trying to decide between a Western 8.5' MVP3 or a Fisher XV2. Pros and cons of each? Does one seem to have more problems/issues? Just tryin' to gather as much info as possible before I make a decision. TIA!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, they are made/owned by the same parent company. I'm probably going to get the stainless steel option so, red/yellow don't matter. :D Western and a Fisher dealer are both within 30 minute drive from me so that's not really an issue. Just tryin to gauge reliability, frequency of issues, stuff like that. Around here, i see more Western than Fisher.

· Banned
13,443 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new(er) truck and plow this spring/summer. I'm trying to decide between a Western 8.5' MVP3 or a Fisher XV2. Pros and cons of each? Does one seem to have more problems/issues? Just tryin' to gather as much info as possible before I make a decision. TIA!
6 in one and a 1/2 doz in the other. Maybe who is ever willing to give you the best deal should make your decision or the closest one to get parts and service.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I would choose Fisher for one reason, not a fan of the pivot tube thing on Western. Putting all the weight of the plow on the pivot bolt causes the tube to wear quick and really just one more thing to wear out.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 in one and a 1/2 doz in the other. Maybe who is ever willing to give you the best deal should make your decision or the closest one to get parts and service.
I can get a better deal on a Fisher, but the Western dealer is closer.
I would choose Fisher for one reason, not a fan of the pivot tube thing on Western. Putting all the weight of the plow on the pivot bolt causes the tube to wear quick and really just one more thing to wear out.
Interesting point. Never really thought about that...

· Registered
769 Posts
Never really understood why some of these wear out.
I ran the old style for 10 years and never had any problems with it, yet I see them worn out on used plows all the time.
Not sure if people over tighten them, leave them too loose, or maybe don't keep their stuff clean.

The updated version is a little beefier also has a grease zerk in it and runs around $170 at Storks.
Even if it wore out every couple of years, I'd still buy the Western over the Fisher because of the benefits that the pivot system provides, and chalk it up to a wear item.

My .02

· Registered
18,088 Posts
I prefer Western over the Fisher just for the ease of hooking and un-hooking the plow.

I can hook up to my plow in one shot every time without even getting out of the cab to check line up. Be connected and on the road in 30 seconds.

It is so easy to hook and unhook from your plow with an Ultramount, there is no reason to carry your plow any time that it is not snowing. They come off faster then they go on.

· Registered
4,475 Posts
Western is easier to hookup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.