Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a brand new Western Mid-weight plow for my 2016-1500 series Silverado. While the plow works excellent, and it is made especially for 1/2 ton trucks, the one problem I'm having is whenever I go over an uneven surface, like backing in and out of my driveway, or coming across a dip in the road, the frame bottoms out on the roadway and it scrapes like hell.

I contacted the plow dealer who I purchased this from, and asked him to recommend a leveling kit to install, and if he installs them, to which I guess the answer is he didn't recommend, or say they install them, only to bring it back once I get a leveling kit installed so he can adjust the installation height of putting the plow on, and taking it off, because the leveling kit will change it.

I have 5 inches from the road to the bottom of the frame, and the bottom of the frame feels like a sharpened lawn mower blade already from the few times I bottomed out. I am the easiest guy there is on a plow, been plowing for 30 years, always with a 3/4 ton, so this is something I've never come across.

Question to all you guys who have dealt with this situation on your 2016 GM 1500 series, what leveling kit do I purchase? I saw on an older thread a guy installed this, his quote, "Bilestin 5100 leveling shocks". I have no idea what to purchase. I don't want the front end of my truck sitting higher when I don't have the plow on, and I'm not sure this would happen, but any help would be awesome.

I put 2 pics below. One of my truck with the plow, and one showing the 5 inch space between the road and the bottom of the frame.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Tread
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Registered
18,088 Posts
Question #1 is are you using any counterweight/ ballast behind the rear axle to counter the weight of the plow in front of the front axle?

If you are using counterweight, I would put a set of Timbrens on for the winter and take them off in the summer if you don't want to level your truck. This will support the weight of the plow when you carry it but not change your ride height. You may just leave them on, but since you have a nice 1/2 ton, it might effect the ride.

Bilestien 5100 will do nothing for the height of your truck. Many people put the Bilesteins on when the truck is leveled as once you level it, you stock shocks will be to short and when your front suspension maxes out to the bottom the shock with "thud" at max out and now your GM rides like a Ford...

· Super Moderator
1,574 Posts
While I admit, I'm mostly here because the comment below had me literally LOL.... I don't want to be that guy with nothing of value to add.

So for the OP....
I had to guess at the full specs of your truck, but Western does call for 570 pounds of ballast in the configuration below. That will help reduce the front end sag, providing you have the ballast well behind your rear axle.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

.... and now your GM rides like a Ford...
:laugh:

· Registered
15,921 Posts
They only make one mount.

That's one of the side effects of a Low Rider.

I would add weight behind the rear axle as suggested.

Home Depot sells 70lbs bags of sand for 5 bucks. Spend 50 and save as well it will help you plow.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to post originally that I also purchased a brand new Western 500 Spreader, which I have mounted to my tow hitch. I have had the salt box full each time that I plowed and still had the problem. So, yes I do have ballast behind the rear axle.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question #1 is are you using any counterweight/ ballast behind the rear axle to counter the weight of the plow in front of the front axle?

If you are using counterweight, I would put a set of Timbrens on for the winter and take them off in the summer if you don't want to level your truck. This will support the weight of the plow when you carry it but not change your ride height. You may just leave them on, but since you have a nice 1/2 ton, it might effect the ride.

Bilestien 5100 will do nothing for the height of your truck. Many people put the Bilesteins on when the truck is leveled as once you level it, you stock shocks will be to short and when your front suspension maxes out to the bottom the shock with "thud" at max out and now your GM rides like a Ford...
I forgot to post originally that I also purchased a brand new Western 500 Spreader, which I have mounted to my tow hitch. I have had the salt box full each time that I plowed and still had the problem. So, yes I do have ballast behind the rear axle.

· Registered
6,896 Posts
It would also help to run max tire pressure in the fronts. I just did a 2” leveling kit on a 2011 1/2 ton silverado and it made a big difference. That truck has 7’6” pro plow on it.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
I would still put some counter/ballast weight up against your tailgate. Either tube sand or bags of rock salt.

Your Western 500 spreader weighs about 75 lbs. and holds 5 cubic feet of rock salt. If rock salt weighs 75 lbs. a cubic foot. You'll start out with your spreader full, which is 550 lbs. combined weight of the spreader and salt. As you spread your salt, you're going to be losing the effect of counter/ballast weight it provides. All the way down to the 75 lbs. that the spreader weighs empty.

Just my $0.02, good luck, NYH1.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Reactions: I Plow in PA.

· Registered
4,475 Posts
nope a 3/4

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.