1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

western conventional mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wishingtoplow, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. wishingtoplow

    wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa
    Messages: 86

    I have a question regarding my western conventional mount on my 82 gmc. I know that the mount came off of a 73-87 chevy, but where the thrust arms mount by the bump stop, do i have to drill a hole for that? and how do I know where to drill one?
  2. Mark13

    Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,794

    For my unimount we had to drill 2 holes in each frame rail. We bolted the mount up and then drilled the holes and put the bolts in. To put the nuts on the backside we took my front bumper off which you have to do anyway with a conventional so you can reach down the frame.
  3. Crash935

    Crash935 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,377

    You may need to use a floor jack and a piece of wood to push the thrust arm up tight to the frame and against the bump stop. Make sure that you still have all of the bolts for the rest of the mount lose so that you can move it. Once in place, CHECK INSIDE THE FRAME RAIL FOR BRAKE AND GAS LINES. The pass side thrust arm should have 2 holes to choose from, use the one that misses the lines inside the frame.

    Oh yeah,


    you wouldnt belive how many people drill right through them.